Posts by jerg

An important thing you might not realize is the new Hifiman is incomparably more comfortable compared to the old design (especially HE6 which is by far the heaviest out of the old planars), due to the combination of weight reduction, new ergonomic headband, and earpads. I didn't think it'd matter much to me, but after using the test sample HE560 for the past month I dread going back to the feel and weight of my HE500s or even the HE400s. HE560s feel like a dream when worn,...
Why are you assuming that I'm looking at numbers on a piece of paper? You're the one throwing around numbers. http://www.tucows.com/preview/502787 Neat little sinewave generator program, lets you toggle tones  from 15 Hz to 30000 Hz. Anyone with healthy functional ears and capable headphones should be able to immediately discern the difference between 12.5kHz and 15kHz (assuming the drivers can extend up to 15 well enough). If you can't, how unfortunate, but don't project.
I thought we're talking about 12.5kHz, not 15kHz. 
What about any music that has synthetic components to it (any genre that is not pure instrumental/vocal)? Or films/videos/video games with non-music sounds that involve very high frequencies (gunshots, environmental destruction, hard materials grinding against each-other, explosions, aliens, etc literally a million different things)? Again, your point is backed up by a very narrow field of view, and you're preaching it like it's a fact.
That is your personal bias though. You downplay extension so much but LOTS of people in this hobby view it as something critical to a truly "high fidelity" audio experience. I don't know why you can't just admit to the fact that a relatively early treble roll-off is a flaw in the context of this hobby (not saying PM1 has that, measurements are notoriously bad at >10kHz detection).
Which part(s) of the midrange do you find too forward from neutral?
It is more serious than it looks because they ARE trying to conduct actual scientific research, so if even the basic parametres are wrong or grossly over-simplified, they would be drawing conclusions that are way off. It just seems to me like graphene material science researchers attempting to draw more attention (and with that more funding interests) to their fields, more than anything else really.
What does that have to do with the ignorance of that statement?
If you read the article or the actual study, these guys don't understand audio fidelity at all.  "The overall quality of a speaker can be described by its frequency response"  Really? Really?
Probably won't be worth the risk for a relatively small company like Hifiman to delve right in though, without much precedent. This kind of material science R&D needs at least some big corporate adoption first.