Posts by Danz03

Same here, had 5 different pairs of um3x/RC and now the Pro 30. Maybe something else can beat them in terms of clarity, details or soundstage, but nothing can beat the SE846 in terms of bass, not K3003, not IE800, not Noble K10U, not Roxanne, not W60, not LCD-2/3, not K812.Yeah, like the Pro 50 which have a lot of sub bass than sub bass, all it does is making them very muddy sounding. The W60 can produce slightly lower sub bass I found, maybe 1 or 2 Hz lower but they don't...
SE846 can produce super low and punchy sub bass which the um3x can never do in a million years. The SE846 sub bass is better and punchier than any IEMs or full size headphones I've encountered, Audeze, Roxanne W60 etc, in fact they sound as good as many speakers system with subwoofers. I love my um3x but saying the bass is of same quality as the SE846 is a bit much.
I will try do that this week, I think I have done so before but couldn't remember the result. But since the W4 and W4r are neatly packed back into their boxes I assumed I liked the W60 a lot more.
For me, I love the SQ of all the Westone IEMs I owned, from UM2 to W60, I have W4 and W4r but not heard the W40, and Pro 50 are the only one I really disliked although the W50 do sound better, I've demoed them in many occasions at different shops and they all ended with the same conclusion for me. Since you ordered them already, I hope you like them, maybe it's just me.
I can't rememeber using any other brand of headphones for tracking in recording studios apart from AKG before the midn90s. I had a singer complained to me once that the K240 were obstructing her jaw movements while she sang, I'm sure there wouldn't be too many singers being happy with the LCD-XC for tracking though. Nowadays I prefer to use the hd25 for tracking, they don't leak much sound, and won't obstruct jaw movements.
I had dead drivers with 3 pairs of my um3x/um3xRC, but so far my Pro 30 have been fine, so maybe Westone has improved their quality control since the new lines.
I must be one of those, to me the Pro 50 are not much better than Beat Solo, the W50 are a bit better but not too far off. I wouldn't use them if they were given to me for free. I think they are really that bad.
The K240 were very popular for tracking in the recording studios because they were semi open so the talent isn't totally isolated from the environment sonically but they don't leak too much sound into the microphone at the same time, so it's some kind of compromise. I personally prefer closed ones for tracking if the talents are ok with them. The only times headphones were used in the studio were mostly for tracking so the sound quality is more or less irrelevant.
To me, even without balanced out, the soundstage of the K812 is more natural sounding and much wider than most other top tier headphones running in balanced.