Posts by joesuburb

Well, I've had my reference monitor's for quite a while now and I listen to them everyday.  Oddly enough, I'm still excited and in love every time I listen to them.  Seriously, I can't believe I don't take them for granted yet.  I've spend thousands of dollars on universals over the years and every single one was a compromise.  These $1000 IEMs are such a better value to me than the $200-$400 universal's I've purchased in the past.
First of all, bless you for being a wonderful parent of a child with autism.  I have seen people park their children with autism.  It sounds like you are giving this boy a full life.  Truly wonderful stuff.  I don't know how severe your boy's case of autism is, but are you concerned with him playing with them and pulling them out and playing with them or getting frustrated with them because they are uncomfortable?   I don't want to tell you to spend more money that...
You know what, you got me.  I have no idea.  I think bit rates above 320 are one of those things that may smack you in the face with subtleties.  To me it comes down to this.  Sound is data.  Compression, depending on the method certainly removes the data.  Is your brain or mine sensitive enough to notice? Hell if I know.     But, I use all apple losseless on my iPhone.  The most important part of any of your equipment is the source you are listening to.  So, why...
I can't speak for the others mentioned but I was able to demo both the ue18pro and the reference monitors. I picked the RM. But they had a very similar signature. If I were to spend money on another set of IEMs I'd get something that wasn't so close in sound signature. But that's just me.
I heard 30 days ago that they were 30 days away.  I'd check.  I went with the hard acrylic.  3 reasons.     1.  I wanted it now. 2.  I heard that with other product lines, nothing specific to UE that the soft material isn't as durable. 3.  I spoke to an audiologist and she said gel is used in hearing aids for people with the larges hearing loss.  She said the downside was that it absorbs high frequencies.  I have no idea if that impacts these or any IEM.   It...
I'm 260lbs, look a little cranky and have a goatee.  Plus I'm old!.  Needless to say, I usually reserve giggling for lapdances and the occasional hummer.  But, I was in starbucks and these things sounded so good I actually started giggling and shot some latte out my nose.   Of All things I was listening to War's, "Why Can't We be Friends" and "Low Rider".  The bass hit like a beast and I just started giggling.  Lots of people will think these lack bass without a bump...
I have a silly question.  If cable makes such a difference, wouldn't it also make a difference on the microphones and equipment that is used to record the music?  If it did make a difference, wouldn't the sound engineers buy and use it?  I've never seen a market for super expensive cables in the comercial side of audio.  In reality, if we want to replicate how a live performance sounds, wouldnt we most accurately replicate it using cable similar to what would be used to...
Get the UE or JH bottom end Customs.  I HATE that I didn't get customs sooner.
I apologize for for this, but I really have no self control.  Earphone cable is 100% absolute USDA prime crap.  You should take a look at the cable that is used inside your IEMs or source.  Within the path of anything you put outside of them, they are still in the path.  This is low voltage, low current signal.  The conductors used are fine and at absolute most, you may get a cable that sounds slightly different but that doesn't mean it sounds better.   Pay for a cable if...
Hey Dave,   I do love my reference monitors.  I hope I have properly conveyed that I could completely see people not liking them.  I recently picked up the Triple.Fi 10 deal and had a chance to listen to them before I gave them to my niece.  The Triple.fi 10 had a lot more bass and the bass wasn't sloppy at all.  But, at the same time, the bass wasn't recorded in the recording.  Recordings that actually contain extended bass had a lot of bass on the Reference Monitors as...