Posts by MuppetFace

You're not going to get much bass extension from the Piano Forte family, unfortunately. That's just their unique signature which has a definite mids focus, and it's something people will either love or hate. The break-in for these is mostly mental in my experience: you have to be in the mood for their unique style, and going into them for the first time can be extremely jarring, especially coming from some other more "modern sounding" headphones. The brass housing has a...
  Yeah, the blog post was linked a bunch of times earlier in the thread, but the link doesn't work on my end anymore---plus I couldn't find the entry on Musica Acoustics---so I'm assuming it was lost in the shuffle when their site was updated recently. When I saw the impressions on some Japanese store sites saying the Aging was different than the 'normal' Heaven V, I was definitely intrigued, but that just hasn't been my own experience. In fact, I found there's more...
A while back I wrote an article for Musica Acoustics' blog comparing the Heaven IV, V, and VI. It doesn't seem to be up anymore, so I figured I'd post it here for future reference.       *  *  *  *  *  *  * *  *  *  *  *  *  *     Final Audio Design Heaven V Impressions  by MuppetFace     There's something about Final Audio Design (or 'FAD' for short) that speaks to certain people. Perhaps it's the exotic materials and finishes that adorn their products;...
6.2.15   Death Grips  -  The Powers That B (+ Fashion Week)           More often than not, reviews for Death Grips' music spend half the time discussing the group's history and the controversy that fills it. These impressions are no exception.   While that kind of thing is usually poor form, it's practically inevitable when it comes to Death Grips, as their exploits have, for better or worse, become the frame that surrounds the pictures they paint. If we're to...
 Headphones I think sound better than the SR-009:SR-Omega, SR-007mk1, HE-90 Orpheus, Abyss, modified Jades. So now you've heard of someone.There are others who feel this way, too. I could introduce you. :) The SR-009 is no doubt an impressive headphone. In some ways it's nearly unrivaled (like transparency).However it's not "the best." There is no single best headphone.
3.2.15   Bjork  -  Vulnicura         It's something I remember well: my 10-year-old self watching Bjork's "Human Behavior" music video over and over, eyes wide and filled with wonder. Growing up, she was one of the few female artists I truly admired (the other being Paula Abdul, mostly due to her interactions with cartoon cats). Bjork. Even the name was tantalizing. She came from Iceland which may as well have been the moon to my young mind. Her beauty was...
  No pattern, really, beyond when I have some time and motivation. I do a lot of writing for a living, so I'm often not in the mood to do more or it outside of work, unfortunately. My goal is to eventually post every few days, but currently I can only manage a few times a month at most. I'll usually start a new thread after a couple of posts, as I don't want everything in one thread (but don't want a new thread for every post). You can keep up to date with my new posts by...
2.2.15   Mount Eerie  -  Sauna         Some of my favorite music can be found in Phil Elverum's history; pieces of indie rock canon, transcendent works of art, and one of the best black metal albums that isn't really even black metal. Beyond that however is a loose narrative of repeating themes and lyrics, multiple drafts, direct sequels, and continued attempts at conveying (something) in itself. This is the mythology of Phil Elverum. What began with the...
Regarding the HE-400, the older version with the white drivers was a lot better than what replaced it. Unlike the later HE-400, it was not bright at all; in fact its tonal balance was kind of like the SR-007 mk1. It was lacking on the technical front (had a grainy sound with grey background), but its bass performance was among the best of the HiFiMans and it performed well overall for the asking price IMO.   Too bad subsequent revisions were changed.
To clarify, the estimate I was given was for the e-stat HiFiMan was working on before. The HE-1000 is a different product (which may or may not have replaced said e-stat prototype), so the estimate I was given may no longer be valid. As far as I know, there has been no official word of any price. At this point, HiFiMan says "no comment." So maybe they haven't even settled on one yet.