Posts by MuppetFace

More like an old name. Gavin's prototype say "2 + 2" but he's calling them "Ref. 1" for production.    He specifically wanted some feedback on how they sound so far and doesn't mind my sharing what I think with you, my faithful diary readers.
Happy Easter to those who celebrate. I had fun dying eggs this weekend.        Including some attempts at egg-sperimentation via damp fabric and an eye dropper. Viola, tie dye eggs. Kinda.     Last weekend I spent some time with these earphones from Tralucent Audio. Look closely, and you'll see they're something altogether new.     More information and impressions will follow shortly. I have so many notes I need to format, but it will get done now...
 Yeah, it's kind of hard to really gauge where the RP40 falls in their lineup, as it has the same brace and counterweight as the RP6, but a lighter glass platter than the RP6 and lacks the RP6's aluminum subplatter hat. However it also has a unique silicon drive belt that was apparently derived from their Naiad research, as well as a power supply custom tuned to each individual motor. I imagine the RP40's real weak point is its Elys cart, even if it's a special edition...
I'm actually considering the Rega RP40 anniversary turntable, as I know of a few places that still have some stock. I think it's pretty similar to the RP6.   The Well Tempered Amadeus knocked my socks off, but I've heard some conflicting things about how easy it is to maintain (some say it's 'set and forget' while others say it requires constant readjustment...). The Kuzma Stabi S and Townshend Rock 7 are also high on my list.   Of course there's also VPI and...
This is the year I finally get back into vinyl. My poor record collection has been sitting in boxes---neglected and ignored---taking up an entire spare bedroom.    Ever since my college freshman days I've been enamored with spinning wax, much to the chagrin of my roommate at the time who thought me insane, perhaps justifiably. At the time I used a Sony turntable that cost $100 new (including the pickup arm and cartridge) from one of those megalithic electronic depots....
Japanese business ethics have been the subject of debate for many decades, and you can find many sociological studies on both sides that look at the question and come to different conclusions. It's a complex subject.   Personally, I think FitEar has legit reasons for their business strategy. Keeping things local makes dealing with customer support much easier on their end, and in means they can keep better tabs on their output. I get the sense Suyama-san is...
The SR version of the MH335DW is a real product. IIRC it's a mod which gives it titanium tubes and changes the FR to make the highs more emphasized.   As for the Monet To Go, it actually exists as a prototype, which is why I find it a bit confusing that an April Fools joke would be posted for it, given that it was my understanding that FitEar planned to eventually release it anyway.   Really, the Gatling is probably the most unlikely and purely "April Fools" of what...
 Well, whether it's a soundstage or a headstage, I do perceive space in some IEMs better than others. The L05QD and UERM for instance sound more linear to me than the Roxanne (the L05QD moreso), and both of them have a more well defined sense of space compared to the Roxanne to my ears. Not necessarily bigger, but more filled out with a more seamless portrayal of instrument placement. I'm wondering if that's not an effect of there being so many drivers?
 The Roxannes sound much more coherent and even to me. If I had to choose between the two, no question would I pick the Roxannes.    The Roxanne can usually pinpoint singular things in space quite well, but when it comes to recreating a sense of recorded space holistically (as in, the studio space), I'm finding the Roxanne is too delineated between close / far and left channel / center / right channel. Some people call this the blob effect. Perhaps it is recording...
When I first tried the universal Roxanne, I had the bass level setting half way between each extreme on the inline controller. The sound was smeared and boomy, and honestly I was somewhat disappointed. Turning the bass to the lowest setting, the sound has really opened up for me, and I'm hearing details a lot more clearly. However I'm still detecting a bit of fuzzy imaging now and then, and instrument placement seems a little iffy at times, either very closed-in or very...