Posts by MuppetFace

Regarding the HE-400, the older version with the white drivers was a lot better than what replaced it. Unlike the later HE-400, it was not bright at all; in fact its tonal balance was kind of like the SR-007 mk1. It was lacking on the technical front (had a grainy sound with grey background), but its bass performance was among the best of the HiFiMans and it performed well overall for the asking price IMO.   Too bad subsequent revisions were changed.
To clarify, the estimate I was given was for the e-stat HiFiMan was working on before. The HE-1000 is a different product (which may or may not have replaced said e-stat prototype), so the estimate I was given may no longer be valid. As far as I know, there has been no official word of any price. At this point, HiFiMan says "no comment." So maybe they haven't even settled on one yet.
  It's available at aquarius records: http://aquariusrecords.org/ As are a lot of my more obscure recommendations. : )
Just a heads up:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/749991/hfb-1-5-15#post_11204860   More reviews for 2015.
1.11.15   Ben Frost  -  A u r o r a       Clearing out some notes from last year. Ben Frost is an aural force with which to be reckoned. His breakthrough album, By The Throat, caught plenty of music fans off guard with its ferocious clamor, taking listeners on a growling laptop odyssey through stretches of Icelandic wilderness and gloom soaked hostels. It's droning, industrial, atmospheric; a DJ set for a gathering of wolves whose breath can be seen in the cold...
  I enjoyed it, but I tried to balance genres in my list. Otherwise that would have been on my favorite electronica of 2014 list. Same with: Ben Frost - Aurora.Fluxion  -  Boardwalk Tales Also DJ Goresh!t's stuff.
1.8.15   Panda Bear  -  Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper         Noah Lennox is a good foil for bandmate Avey Tare. Instead of manic screams, he sings with steady longing. Instead of violent, acid fried head jangles, he prefers to dabble in the sunbaked domain of west coast radio harmonies and beachscapes. These are often wistful, utilizing found sounds faded by time. Noah Lennox is a nostalgic Panda Bear, soft and gentle. He's a perfect aural accompaniment for...
Hip hop in 2014 for me was all about the little guys, rising stars, and the mixtape format (whether an actual mixtape or that type of sound). Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad, QuESt, Mick Jenkins... all big surprises for me.   Agreed on Doom's last joint being disappointing. Also Wu-Tang was thoroughly meh. Clipping would have been higher on my list if the album was more consistent. For me the Step Brothers album was even weirder in places and a lot better overall.   Run...
  Huh..? Here is my top 100 list with electronica and hip hop with electronic production removed: 099. Cymbals Eat Guitar  -  Lose098. Zackey Force Funk  -  Money Green Vipers097. Jennifer Castle  -  Pink City095. Anaal Nathrakh  -  Desideratum094. Septicflesh  -  Titan091. Khost  -  Copper Lock Hell 090. Mr. Dream - Ultimate In Luxury088. Slim Twig  -  A Hound At the Helms087. Gridlink  -  Longhena083. Ex Hex  -  Ripa082. OBNOX  -  The Juke That Sat In the Corner080. Have...
By all means, feel free to post your list of things you enjoyed this year. I enjoy seeing other peoples' contributions.   It's my fault for not labeling things well in the first place. I'm projecting my love of exploring stuff here; not everyone likes picking random stuff from a big list to check out, even if I do. That's fine.   But for the record, my list includes: rock, indie/alt, punk, metal, jazz, eastern and western folk, electronica, hip hop, field recordings,...