Posts by MuppetFace

3.2.15   Bjork  -  Vulnicura         It's something I remember well: my 10-year-old self watching Bjork's "Human Behavior" music video over and over, eyes wide and filled with wonder. Growing up, she was one of the few female artists I truly admired (the other being Paula Abdul, mostly due to her interactions with cartoon cats). Bjork. Even the name was tantalizing. She came from Iceland which may as well have been the moon to my young mind. Her beauty was...
  No pattern, really, beyond when I have some time and motivation. I do a lot of writing for a living, so I'm often not in the mood to do more or it outside of work, unfortunately. My goal is to eventually post every few days, but currently I can only manage a few times a month at most. I'll usually start a new thread after a couple of posts, as I don't want everything in one thread (but don't want a new thread for every post). You can keep up to date with my new posts by...
2.2.15   Mount Eerie  -  Sauna         Some of my favorite music can be found in Phil Elverum's history; pieces of indie rock canon, transcendent works of art, and one of the best black metal albums that isn't really even black metal. Beyond that however is a loose narrative of repeating themes and lyrics, multiple drafts, direct sequels, and continued attempts at conveying (something) in itself. This is the mythology of Phil Elverum. What began with the...
Regarding the HE-400, the older version with the white drivers was a lot better than what replaced it. Unlike the later HE-400, it was not bright at all; in fact its tonal balance was kind of like the SR-007 mk1. It was lacking on the technical front (had a grainy sound with grey background), but its bass performance was among the best of the HiFiMans and it performed well overall for the asking price IMO.   Too bad subsequent revisions were changed.
To clarify, the estimate I was given was for the e-stat HiFiMan was working on before. The HE-1000 is a different product (which may or may not have replaced said e-stat prototype), so the estimate I was given may no longer be valid. As far as I know, there has been no official word of any price. At this point, HiFiMan says "no comment." So maybe they haven't even settled on one yet.
  It's available at aquarius records: http://aquariusrecords.org/ As are a lot of my more obscure recommendations. : )
Just a heads up:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/749991/hfb-1-5-15#post_11204860   More reviews for 2015.
1.11.15   Ben Frost  -  A u r o r a       Clearing out some notes from last year. Ben Frost is an aural force with which to be reckoned. His breakthrough album, By The Throat, caught plenty of music fans off guard with its ferocious clamor, taking listeners on a growling laptop odyssey through stretches of Icelandic wilderness and gloom soaked hostels. It's droning, industrial, atmospheric; a DJ set for a gathering of wolves whose breath can be seen in the cold...
  I enjoyed it, but I tried to balance genres in my list. Otherwise that would have been on my favorite electronica of 2014 list. Same with: Ben Frost - Aurora.Fluxion  -  Boardwalk Tales Also DJ Goresh!t's stuff.
1.8.15   Panda Bear  -  Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper         Noah Lennox is a good foil for bandmate Avey Tare. Instead of manic screams, he sings with steady longing. Instead of violent, acid fried head jangles, he prefers to dabble in the sunbaked domain of west coast radio harmonies and beachscapes. These are often wistful, utilizing found sounds faded by time. Noah Lennox is a nostalgic Panda Bear, soft and gentle. He's a perfect aural accompaniment for...