Posts by MuppetFace

11.20.14     Scott Walker + Sunn O)))  -  Soused         How does one define a successful collaboration between artists? To my mind, it could be several things. Firstly one or both of the artists learn from the other. Secondly both artists together produce something that successfully melds their styles together. Thirdly both artists together produce something new, something that differs from either of their styles. The most successful projects of all are those...
New post added.
 It's a question of magnitude and overall FR. The ASG-2 had one of the most laid back signatures I've heard in an ear monitor, both in treble and upper mids. This despite the fact that the treble was definitely present, and there was even a small area of sizzle. The FAD Piano Fortes sound smooth too, but they have a rolled off / mid centric type of signature.FitEar MH335DW is perhaps more similar, though with a definite monitor sound over a silky seductive one.
Just thought I'd leave this here:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/742367/hfb-11-14-14-11-21-14-soused-twins-lit-only-by-fire#post_11047227   I'm really impressed by the way my special color request turned out in the end. Thanks, Justin!
 Ah, okay, smoother is good. The was some sizzle in the 10k region of the ASG-2 from memory. Upper mids lacked a bit of bite. The sig was very polite, making for quite a seductive listen IMO. As long as the 2.5 retains that quality overall, I may give it a shot? I have a pair of the Rockets. Got the rainbow finish. They sound good, especially at the Kickstarter price. Maybe a touch shouty depending on the fit, but I like them. In fact the Rockets inspired me to revisit the...
  I was thinking of picking up a pair of ASG-2s only to discover the ASG-2.5 had taken their place. Having demoed the former, I'd say less bass is a good thing to me because the 2s were already on the verge of being overwhelming with it dialed back all the way. However I'm concerned about the treble of the 2.5. One of the biggest selling points of the 2s for me was the buttery smooth treble. It was relaxing and not the least bit fatiguing. Reminded me of the original...
11.19.14     Grouper  -  Ruins       Liz Harris has been bringing some of the most beautiful and ethereal music into the world as Grouper for nearly a decade now. Often featuring her voice as the main instrument, these albums are gateways into dreamy greyscale worlds of light and shadow and form. With 2008's Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, Liz expanded her sonic palette and created the Grouper equivalent of a pop record. Okay, that's an exaggeration: it was still...
11.16.14                       ★ ☯☺☂ seapunk ☂☺☯ ★          
Note: Decided to do things a bit differently going forward. Instead of delivering one long post every month or two, I'd rather just make a smaller post every day or two. I'll start with two week blocks and see how that goes.     11.14.14   Ariel Pink  -  Pom Pom       Ariel Pink has been a key figure in lo-fi pop's revival, though I suspect he'd balk at such a classification. Same goes for people calling his music 'weird' or 'druggy.' It's wobbly and amorphous...
  Oooo. That's really cool. I'd jump on that if I weren't saving up for stupid things. A truly amazing album, from one of my favorite groups.   For the last couple of months I've been fixated on Vasilisk, a fusion of industrial and tribal music from Japan who've been active since the 80s and derived from another legendary project, White Hospital. Similar in style to what a lot of bands are doing right now (ex. Cut Hands), but it has a strong force behind it most...