Posts by MuppetFace

goodbye diary thread.                         ...         part 3 coming soon ???        
Just stopping by to say...   R.I.P. Kanemori Takai   His unconventional genius will be missed. Final Audio Design will never be the same, but he has left behind a legacy of amazing products.
When I first heard the Roxanne, I was not that impressed either. Then a few days went by, and I turned the bass boost down more and more. Keeping those dials to a minimum is a must for me with these. Now I have to say I'm actually quite impressed by the Roxanne. Once the dials are adjusted properly, it becomes quite transparent sounding to me, more so than any of JH's past efforts. The level of detail also becomes more subjectively impressive once the bass gets out of the...
 So far as I can tell, the amp is only as bright as the stock HD800 is. I don't hear any tonal irregularities added by the amp itself. Yes, this amp seems to be one of the few out there that can actually get the most from the HD800.
I was part of the first run of 4-45s. My amp, #3, was delivered yesterday.   Just a note for future 4-45 owners. When you power on the amp, you will hear a truly terrifying noise that sounds like aliens boring into your brain. When I first heard this I was unprepared, and it scared the sh!t out of me. I immediately powered down the amp and contacted Craig who assured me this sound---what he innocently calls "the Star Trek noise"---is 100% normal for this amp. It lasts...
Over the last few months I've built up quite a backlog of notes on various things I've been meaning to post in here. I've been debating with myself what the best way of disseminating this stuff, so I thought I'd take an informal poll. Do you folks prefer the longer diary entries of mine with lots of different topics all bundled together, or would you prefer shorter more frequent posts grouped more thematically? Granted, I find it somewhat fun trying to weave topic...
The above posts make valid points. I'd also add a more general one however: when they desire something for so long and covet it, actually owning it can be anti-climactic for some people. This is true of any trophy. I think some people derive great satisfaction from desire itself, and desire once fulfilled is no more. Other times people look to objects to give them personal fulfillment in ways they simply cannot, as a sort of objet petit a.
In my years here at head-fi, I've discovered that in the majority of cases people have already made up their minds when seeking advice and are mainly looking for approval; it's also often the case I find that people have made up their minds before they even hear something as to whether they want it or not. One can think of reasons to not buy customs---and the above mentioned points are all valid----but what it really comes down to is whether you want them or not...
The FitEar Melomane universal is on its way. It'll be interesting comparing it to the Parterre and my other custom FitEars.   Now if Suyama-san would just release the universal Monet....
More like an old name. Gavin's prototype say "2 + 2" but he's calling them "Ref. 1" for production.    He specifically wanted some feedback on how they sound so far and doesn't mind my sharing what I think with you, my faithful diary readers.