Posts by MuppetFace

Reserved.
. - * - . . - * - . . - * - . . - * - . . - * - .   "It's not an ordinary snowman. It's a man from outer space."       Crappy rundown venues, heckling drunks, a noxious cloud of exhaled cigarettes: all of these things are highly unpleasant. Yet the night still seems valuable. The humanity still seems valuable. What is it about seeing bands in person---crammed into a large volatile crowd of people---that keeps me coming back time and again? I come away feeling like...
 Yeah, I feel you. Like I said it's a shame. The story is only really interesting in light of the music.By far the best descriptions of the music I've seen are in the re-issues' liner notes; hopefully someone transcribed them. Glad you're digging Hundred Waters. These last few years have seen a veritable overflow of soulful vocals set to electronica, but it's really a testament to what they're doing when it sounds so completely fresh and captivating. I think it somehow...
 That's a shame, though I can understand why the backstory plays such a huge role in reviews for music by Lewis. He's just so mysterious, and these albums are nearly inseparable from the mythic status build up around them. I'll be discussing his second album, Romantic Times, in a coming blog post. I'll try to balance describing the music and giving the context that surrounds it.
 Did you try everything? I posted stuff I find a lot more accessible than anything by Odd Future, personally. Open Mike EagleIsaiah RashadSkyzoo & ToraeAtmosphereStatik SelektahCormegaMac Miller (who collaborated w/ Tyler the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt)Sage FrancisDilated PeoplesThe Roots (who are pretty mainstream)
  Thanks, I'll have to check some of those out at some point. Didn't know Botanist had a new album out this year; nice tip! I've posted about his music before in my older diary thread. I actually omitted some of those (Earth, Pallbearer, Thou, Wold, Indian) because I'm going to be talking about them in upcoming entries. Tune-Yards, Idylls, and Spoon didn't really do much for me though, personally. But thanks for posting your list and giving people the chance to decide for...
  No worries. You can use whatever pronouns you like.Just don't call me "it." Too Silence of the Lambs-y for my taste.
   There's going to inevitably be crossover because many of these albums are popular in music communities. For instance people accused Anthony Fantano of copying Pitchfork because he'd talk about a lot of the same albums, but that logic is silly. Similarly, I may talk about albums Anthony talks about, but that doesn't mean I'm copying him. In fact I like several albums he doesn't and visa versa. Same with Pitchfork. If I should praise anyone for influencing my musical...
 Yeah, thanks for catching that. I'm actually compiling a list of 2013 albums I loved but discovered in 2014, and my wires got crossed at some point. I'll amend the list as I go.  Yeah, I enjoy his works. Thanks for reminding me of him, as I somehow missed his new release for this year. I've been listening to a lot of Adam Pacione lately. Another lovely drone artist.Though Andrew Chalk is still my all time favorite classical drone master.  Just a disclaimer: I've never...
Reserved.