Posts by kstaken

Grant Green - The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark
deleted: wrong place.
The term I would use is transparent. I would definitely not describe it as clinical or even hyper-detailed as those imply that the amp is significantly coloring the sound which I don't think it is. It's definitely not artificially emphasizing detail, the detail is coming from the source, the Mjolnir is simply scrubbing less of it away allowing you to hear more of what the source is providing. The Peak does a good job of that too but the tube is coloring the sound a tiny...
I agree with this completely. The only thing I find with the Mjolnir that makes it a tricky recommendation is that it is balanced only. If you're actually a headphone enthusiast that makes it a little difficult to serve as your only amp. Trying different headphones on it before you're committed to them isn't really possible in cases where the cable is either hard wired or after market cables aren't readily available. Also some headphones that only have a 3 conductor cable...
I want to make it clear that I said "drier" than the Peak, my statement was purely relative. I do not find the Mjolnir to be even close to as dry and etched as some of those vintage solid state pieces can be. It is not fatiguing in any way to me and there is plenty of life in the music. That said it's not a romantic amp either but then neither is the Peak. It's very clear, transparent and revealing so that you can hear your source fully. Use a crappy source with this amp...
Unfortunately I only have an LCD-2 R1 and I can't stand it. I re-terminated the cable, plugged it into the Mjolnir for 5 minutes and then put it back in its box and on the shelf.   
My Mjolnir now has a little over 100 hours on it so I figured it's time to sit down and do a little more detailed comparison with the Apex Peak/Volcano. I use a Shuguang Black Treasure in the Peak and both the tube and the amp are well run in. Most of my listening with the Mjolnir has been with the Denon D7100 but for the comparison I used the HD800 since it's a better known quantity. I level matched the amps using an SPL meter. The cable on the HD800 was a Q Audio...
The bass settles down substantially through the first 100 hours. Mine now have roughly 120 hours and you definitely do notice the bass if you listen to them right after something like the HD800 but beyond that the bass just seems to provide a solid foundation for the music and does not overwhelm like it did out of the box. Also the amp used makes a significant difference, the Mjolnir seems to control the bass slightly better than the Apex Peak and both do a better job...
Which 5692 are you using?
The Mjolnir is the first dedicated headphone amp I've had that actually has enough power for them. I do like them with the Peak but it clearly runs out of steam if things get busy and large scale classical is out of the question. Previously my best results were with speaker amps. The HE-5LE are 38ohms so the Mjolnir actually has more power available for these than it will for the HE-6 which are 50 ohms. So the answer is the HE-5LE sound as good as I've ever heard them....