Posts by kstaken

One thing I'm still curious about is how well it handles the HE-6. It handles the HE-5LE better than anything else I've tried but as hard as those are to drive they're still more efficient than the HE-6. Anyone in the Phoenix area have an HE-6 and curious about the Mjolnir?
For the Robert Johnson centennial edition, for the tracks where they could find original metal, my understanding is they pressed polystrene copies from the stampers and then transferred from those. Those transfers are vastly superior to any of the earlier CD editions or any of the other tracks for which the original stampers no longer exist. I was skeptical of yet another Robert Johnson set but the improvement was substantial and musically significant. All the Jazz I have...
Robert Johnson - The Centennial Collection     The Lumineers     JD McPherson - Signs & Signifiers  
I'm talking about really old recordings from the 20s and 30s. Those recordings were generally recorded directly to disk and that disk was used to make the stampers for the 78s. Most modern copies of this music were made by playing and recording the 78s which in many cases aren't exactly pristine. For the latest transfers of the Robert Johnson material they basically stamped new 78s to record. The results are absolutely fascinating. I would love to hear some of the Jazz...
Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan - A Dhun & A Raga on Vinyl   This isn't the cover of the vinyl but the recordings are reissued on this CD.  
Ah man, Django. How did I leave him off my list.   Sound quality is definitely a complicating factor in the enjoyment of the older recordings. However, some of the transfer techniques for old 78s are getting pretty incredible. The latest reissue of the Robert Johnson material is stunning given how old it is and how poor the sound of his recordings have historically been. I don't know if they've been able to use the same techniques with any of the older Jazz recordings.   
The Ravi Shanker Collection - 10 CD Box Set Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth - Vinyl Megadeath - Peace Sells... But who's buying - Vinyl BT - These Hopeful Machines - CD The Lumineers - CD The Cure - Head on the Door - CD
Something else I'll add on the new Denon's, at least for the 7100, I find them extremely comfortable. The D600 seem to be basically the same design so they're likely quite comfortable as well. Comfort isn't much of a problem for the K550 or D5000 either but for me the new Denon's are just plush.
I have both the D5000 and K550 among many others and I feel the K550 is overall the better headphone IF you can get a good fit. If they don't fit right they can sound really bad which is why I think you see such mixed reactions to them. I really only like the D5000 for electronic music where its extra bass is fun. It is true that it does not seal and besides leaking sound it also provides basically no isolation. A D5000 on a plane would suck, they really are not a...
I'm a huge Jazz fan. I try to listen to more newer releases than older stuff but it's good all the way back to the beginning. I'm particularly fond of Jazz guitar and organ.   Some favorites   Older Grant Green Herb Ellis Barney Kessel Kenny Burrell Gene Harris Hank Mobley Jackie McLean Jimmy Smith Lee Morgan Dexter Gordon Bill Evans   Newer  Julian Lage Kurt Rosenwinkel Marc Ribot Nik Bartsch's Ronin Hiromi Medeski, Martin...