Posts by chinsettawong

Hi OnyxOcelot, Most of us here are DIYers. We make the headphones base on trials and errors. I encourage you to do the same as I don't believe that you'll only make one pair. 1. I am not sure that smaller holes are better. I have been drilling 2 mm holes on all my stators, and I like all of them. 2. I use chemical etching method for etching out the unneeded copper. I think it etches out copper very evenly. 3. As for cable, try to get an extension cable of Koss...
Outstanding work!  Keep us posted of your progress.
The stiffness from styrene foam by itself won't be able to hold the diaphragm tension. You'll need to glue it to the stator then glue the diaphragm on. But I'm not sure how stiff your stator is. The stiffness does matter, because the air gap is only 0.5 mm. Any warping can cause unevenness and your driver won't be stable. I'm not sure how you can stabilize the diaphragm. Do you mean to use heat to further shrink the diaphragm? In my experience, if you use weight or...
Hi urlgr-A,   Your perforated metal sheet looks good.  I'm sure either one will work just fine.  Please be sure that the metal sheet still has very good insulation.   What would you use for your spacers?   The headphones with Arnaud now are my version 1, Jacklin Float style headphones.  The spacer is 0.6 mm, and yes, they require a bit more powerful amp than Stax headphones.   If you want to build your own amp, I highly recommend you build a KGSSHV.  It's...
By the way, if you tension your diaphragms using a tensioner, the diaphragms are already very tight.  The hot air from a hot air gun can't help to tension the diaphragm that much anymore.   Wachara C.
You can also do it my way.  I always cut more spacers than I need.  I glue a few more diaphragms to play with different tensions.   If you want to do the adjustable diaphragm, please do not forget that you're playing with lethally dangerous high voltage too.  Be very careful.   Wachara C.
 It's easier to just show you the pictures than to try to explain it.   The stator is glued to a piece of plastic.  The stator is perhaps powder coated.  So, it's insulated. When put together, the different thicknesses of spacer and stator makes the air gap of around 0.4 mm.  There is about 1 mm of spacing between the outer diameter of the stator and inner diameter of the spacer.
 Do you know that Stax also uses PCB as stators and spacers is their SR007? In Stax Lambda series, the spacers are made of brass rings.
I too don't think humudity during the coating process has any bad effect on the coating material - my coating material is actually water base.   From time to time, my headphones do have some imbalance issue.  Most of the times when that happens, I find some small arc spots on the diaphragm.  The arc isn't severe, it just leaves spot marks on the diaphragm.  Recoating usually fixes it.   Wachara C.
I'm really sorry to hear about the imbalance issues.  Has anybody opened up his 009 to see the inside?   The imbalance problem can often be fixed with recoating the diaphragm.