Posts by c00lkatz

Ever consider an AV receiver? Good sound quality, tons of connectivity, can be had pretty cheap depending on what you get and what you're looking at, and will power low/medium impedance headphones with ease along with a decent set of speakers as well.   Not a common suggestion around here, but it's an option. I've got a Yamaha HTR-6030 and Denon AVR-1712 that actually worked pretty good to power my DT990 250-ohm with good sound quality and got them decently loud, and...
I agree with this. The non-HD X-Fi Titanium is a good, cheap card. I used to have one (X-Fi Titanium Pro Fatal1ty actually) paired with my JVC HA-RX900's and it was a nice combo.   However, I just went through the exercise of trying MANY different sound cards with my RX900's, the X-Fi Titanium, X-Fi HD USB (mobile headphone amp version, not the PCI-E sound card), Asus Xonar U3, a Denon AVR-1712 receiver, a Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver, and finally the Fiio E17. I can tell you...
Amp gets things louder and it does seem to fill out better. Either way I like the docking capability and the other inputs were nifty, especially for comparing my onboard laptop audio and LG G2x headphone out to the E17 via the AUX toggle switch. The phone and E17 sounded similar, but the onboard was a bit worse. It wasn't huge, but definitely noticeable (narrower soundstage, looser bass, etc).   The amp itself gets the job done, and looks nice sitting on my desk. I...
Lol very true. I've been bitten by "the upgrade bug" more than once and in more than one hobby. Though, I must say I am leaps and bounds further than when I first started here. I'm like a kid on Christmas again lol. I can't wait to get the E9K set up with the E17 and DT990's and be able to A/B that with my onboard and RX900's. I may have spent about 9 times what I intended (that's how it usually goes with me anyway), but being able to demo one extreme to the other will...
Just ordered the E9K, will be here tomorrow.   This has been a long and confusing road, more so than any other hobby I've dabbled in. But I think it's all coming together, and will be worth it in the end. And this is all still "entry level" stuff lol. I'm hoping after I get this E9K maybe I can just sit back and enjoy what I have for a bit lol.
Oops, double post.
Thanks for the tip on the E9, I didn't realize the E17 wouldn't work with it. Too bad, as it's $20 cheaper, but from reading it seems they fixed some quirks with the original anyway with the E9K. I'm still going back and forth between the E9K and O2. I've priced it out, and the price is pretty much the same. I've read the O2 is the better amp, but from looking at nwavguy's own side-by-side comparison, the E9/E9K doesn't look to be that far off (and would be a simpler and...
Got the DT990 pro 250. Out of the box, the bass was disappointing (compared to the DT770 pro 80). It seemed less controlled, loose and boomy, not nearly as punchy, tight and detailed as the DT770 pro/80, and didn't seem to extend as well. I had already returned the DT770, so I didn't have them to compare directly, but it was certainly not what I expected. However, I let them burn-in for a couple days and they seem to be much better. I still like the bass of the DT770's...
Well, I decided to go with the E17 for now. I figured I'd get a good portable DAC with a decent amp first, and then if I need more I can get an amp later on. Since the E17 itself is portable, I figured I'd go with a desktop amp, like the Fiio E9 or build an O2. I plan on listening more at home than out and about anyway.   The DT990's should be coming in today, and I will get the E17 tomorrow.
Actually I think I'm going to build an O2 diy style. Probably won't cost much more than the PA2V2 and will be much more fun than just opening a box. How does it stack up to the PA2V2, and does it pair nicely with the DT990 Pro/250? (Judging by everyone else's impressions, I think I know the answer to this, but your input as been ever so valuable so far!)   I am an ATM repair tech (and the company's operations manager) and repair electronics on a regular basis,...