Posts by Reprobate

@TYTY5150 - I'm going to just sell my 80i instead of going the amp route for now. For whatever reason, I don't think I'm going to find what I'm looking for with the Grados. I think I've learned that I prefer closed back cans and IEM's and my ears are not sensitive to lows but fairly sensitive to highs. This may be due to some terrible listening practices when I was a youngster! My ears are still ringing from last night's session with the 80i and I think I need to cut my...
OK! I finally got some acceptable sound out of the SR80i's. I had an old (1993ish) Denon AVR-610 receiver that had enough power to drive and deliver bass guitar and drums - I had to max the bass and cut the treble. Surprised my 3 year old Onkyo couldn't keep up. My head was boppin' to all my test songs, but damn if my ears aren't ringing after an hour because I had to crank it up quite a bit. I wont be listening to these more than a few minutes at a time until I can try...
I was looking for a first nice full sized can for mostly rock. Not my perfect list, but just what I've been using the last month.   Van Halen - Running with the Devil - Michael Anthony's opening bass line has to make me feel a sense of urgency, like the ground is about to open up on a dark street lit by a red light.   Van Halen - Eruption.   Van Halen - I'm The One - Do Alex's drums blow me away or do they sound muddy. I should use Hot for...
I didn't like the SR80i though my iPod(or my Onkyo receiver) at all. Maybe they sound better through a serious amp, but I thought the $30 Koss Portapros sounded better though my iPod for hard rock, not that I'm recommending the Koss specifically. I don't think the SR80i should be anyone's "first decent headphone" unless you've demoed them with your favorite tracks on a comparable rig to what you will be using. They have a very specific sound signature.
Nice price! I just got back from Guitar Center and they matched the $104 price from Geartree. The employee there called up to the Hollywood store to get a new one in a box shipped to my local store and while on the phone he was informed that the M50 isn't going to be in production any longer. Of course you can take that information with a grain of salt.
Guitar Center will price match. I spoke to an employee over the phone and he confirmed that if I show him a reputable web site price he will match it(no ebay). I've got 2 to show him. One is an authorized dealer according to the Audio Technica official site and the other I'm not sure of, but it's a couple of bucks cheaper so I'm trying that one first. The M50S is cheaper so I'll probably end up with that.   Authorized dealer with link from...
I say save your money and get the 60, then you'll know if you are a Grado fan or not. I went for the SR80i because I heard that it had more "bass", but now I realize that Grado's are not for me at all. Grados are supposed to be awesome at guitar based rock. I've tried original CD's by the likes of Hendrix, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Floyd, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Alice In Chains and even the Beatles on my PS3-->Optical Cable-->Onkyo Receiver-->Grado and while the guitars...
Sorry, wrong thread. I have edited my post, but I will say that after reading a bit about the Audio Technica ATH-M50, they may be the cans you are looking for. I'm picking one up tomorrow and my Grado SR80i's are going up for sale.
My super old Sony MDR-EX70. Not a favorite around here, but they are extremely comfortable - 8 hours strait is no problem. I've sweat buckets through these over the years and they are still going strong. The combination of the J-cord and the Sony ear tips are great for being on the go all day.   Looking forward to some Monster Coppers when they come out with the controltalk version, whenever that is...
I hope your comments don't discourage people from trying out my suggestions. They really are quite good.