Posts by Jason Stoddard

Chapter 36: A Real Company?   This was originally going to be the final chapter in the book, covering where we were as of December 2013: in the SchiitBox, busy racking the place out, and looking upon a company that was no longer a scrappy garage start-up, but well and truly real.   We were also supposed to be looking from a point of view of having been shipping Ragnaroks for 8-9 months and Yggys for 5-6 months, and you all know how that worked out.   (Cue evil,...
Added my input to the Microsoft site. I can't believe they're intending to release Windows 10 without it.
Yep, I missed that point...I guess the stuff we're doing at Schiit is so profoundly interesting to me that I just spaced it. Of course, someone else would find it very boring. True quote from our accountant: "I don't know how you do all that boring technical stuff." Mike and I sat there flabbergasted. But we're very happy to have an accountant who really loves what he's doing, even if we can't understand it (and think it's boring.) Part of it comes from knowing what you're...
That's definitely part of it. But yeah, I think pretty much everyone at Schiit is immune to ass-kissing. Mike and I have spent far too long in small companies, so we've learned that the people who have internalized the old-skool "imitate/flatter the boss to get ahead" business column advice are usually best avoided. It makes us very nervous, because we think you're covering up for lack of true performance. Alex instantly sees through any BS/flattery, probably thanks to his...
Okay, let's say I tell you, "Here's your custom Great Schiit t-shirt, because I love you, and you're a great employee, and you've been supremely helpful in getting where we want to be...and, oh, by the way, we didn't make numbers and you're looking at a 10% pay cut."   Where are you going?   Of course, everyone needs some positive reinforcement. But if everyone is engaged and motivated, the ongoing "atta boys," will come from everyone around them, not from some...
Chapter 34: You Want to Pay How Much? Or, How We Moved Again   This is probably how a “real” company decides to move their operations:   Based on future plans and internal feedback, decides they need to have more space/less space/different space/different location (more tax favorable, etc). Gets input from key management on the kind of space they need. Surveys the available space in their target area with the help of an industrial lessor/realtor. Weighs the...
 And...two more points (an irony and the turning point in my life.) 1. The irony: about the time the Cobalt 307 was clicking along at a 1000-per-month sales rate, an industry leader (who made competing DACs) opined on Stereophile that "the total world market for DACs is about 400 units per month." Mike and I both had a good laugh about that one. 2. The turning point: shortly before RMAF 2014, one of our technicians (Jesse, who you can thank for taking the lead on Ragnarok...
It is NOT.
I Armor-All my CDs...                   JUST KIDDING! Anyone got any green pens left?
Okay,   Now everyone knows why I mentioned (in the last chapter) Mike speaking to the TI engineer and the audio engineer, saying, well, whatever it was he was saying, and why I just leave him to it.   Let's disambiguate a few things, though:   1. Schiit is a company that makes products at mass-market prices. We get a lot of crossover from the "better sound curious" folks, as well as the more traditional audiophiles. We're not niche. And DSD is a niche of a...