Posts by Jason Stoddard

$2499 with tape already applied.
It's a little of both: teething pain (getting the processes right, so errors don't "stack" at the end, plus some reallocation of what's done at the board house and what's done in-house.) I think we're at the point of getting the processes right, and we have a plan to streamline production by having the PCB assembly house take on some of the tedious wiring stuff, so things are getting better. No plan to increase the price.
Chapter 38: Wyrd Schiit   “Hey Dave, is there any value in reclocking a USB datastream, like you guys used to do with SPDIF on Theta’s Time Linque Conditioner?”   Dave looked confused. “Wellllll…it’s not really the same…with USB, it’s more the hub chip repeating the output…but the hub chip uses, uh, a crystal oscillator, so it’s…well, maybe.”   That was pretty much the entire design brief on Wyrd.   We’d been talking about USB as an audio interface, and the...
Hey all,   Our big push to ship Ragnaroks this week failed miserably, I'm afraid--we're hoping to ship most of the current orders next week.   Sorry, complex line, long burn-in time, ongoing staff availability...I spoke too soon.   All the best, Jason
 Actually, that's only partially correct. No manufacturer can simply produce "what they want." Without market acceptance, they soon won't be in business.  I'll refer you back to the chapter in the book where I discuss our overall philosophy. To paraphrase: fun, affordable products that are true to the music. A more accurate statement is that we make products that are: 1. Congruent with our philosophy.2. Meet a market need.3. Designed to exceed or obviate other products in...
I'm actually not pointing fingers at anyone--basically just waving a flag in the general direction of the super-high-priced high-end stuff out there.   Sure, there are a handful of examples that can justify the price based on performance or principles (I'm thinking of discrete resistor ladder DACs and the like, which are eye-wateringly expensive to get right) but there's a lot of stuff out there based on aesthetics and flash.   It's really about seeing it from an...
Chapter 37: The Value of Diversions   Going into 2014, we had plenty of stuff to keep us busy—the ongoing decrapification of the Ragnarok firmware, DAC choices and programming for Yggy, and the planned introduction of both the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 as the main features. On top of that, too, I had a few new ideas on the burner, including one with four variations—one of which became Fulla. Mike was playing with a phono stage that would become Mani. Neither of these...
That's not hum--that's high frequency interference, either coming in through the AC, or via a cellphone or wifi router nearby. 
Weird. They're certainly not humming when they ship. It's most likely dirty power or a ground loop.   To check for ground loops (or input cables picking up buzz), unplug all inputs on the Ragnarok and see if it goes away. If it does, it's a ground loop.    Dirty power? Plug it into a circuit separate from any computers/switchmode chargers/etc to start. Continue with a good AC line filter, then a Tripplite isolation transformer (best.)
That's true as well, though our Windows 8 tablet-based system doesn't allow for it. It would be great to have Tidal as an option (we are subscribers), otherwise we'll be bringing our own wireless network with a huge music selection (streamed via JRiver to the tablets) and, of course, will be able to take any external drives that anyone brings.