Posts by Jason Stoddard

I said nothing about a Modi 2. However, we will very shortly have a less expensive optical input DAC, if all you need is optical input.
 No 2-channel DAC will do Dolby Digital...so beware.
 Not for long... However (BIG however)--many, many TVs and AVRs don't output PCM sound from HDMI sources, due to copy protection. Make sure yours does, before you buy any DAC.
 Sounds like one (er, now two) votes to take it to email. No worries. Shike, the offer stands: jason@schiit.com. Full unedited transcript will be posted. One post. (Though I am puzzled why you didn't email me before, since you should have had the email from our conversation in July 2011. I'm always available to clear things up.) But, actually, if we did it in this thread, I don't think it would be that bad. All I need to know is: 1. What is the "situation?"2. What does...
 I'm sorry--I thought you said, "Jason, we are good" on another forum that shall not be named, after I cleared up some things about how we handled the Asgard Incident, apologized for it, etc. Bottom line: I have no grievances with you, and I bear no ill-will to you, so there is no "bygones being bygones" on my side.  I have no problem discussing it right here, in this forum, since it is not a thread derail at all--it directly addresses the chapter posted. I think nobody...
Shike, it's very clear (from conversations all around the web) that nothing we will ever do will truly satisfy you, despite your apparent contentment in the original Asgard Incident thread. From Shike, post #74, a few posts after I said we'd warn people about DC, investigate adding a relay, and refund anyone who'd ever bought an Asgard:  Again, the entire thread is archived here for everyone to look at and make their own...
 Mike is, by far, the more grounded and focused of the two of us. He's also very set on the right and proper way to do things. I experiment more, and will sway with the market a bit more. So yes, we're a good pair. Mike provides the long-term insight and solid base, and I push for change. Neither of us is right all the time. And--both of us experiment a lot. As Mike says, "I live out in the boonies. The only things to do are engineer or drink. And I don't drink...
 The slow turn-on and decay characteristics of pure tube amps effectively negates the need for a relay.
Actually, let's talk about measurements for a bit.    One of the problems in audio is that most common audio analyzers (Audio Precision, Stanford, DScope) have a number of pre-set measurements that make determining things like THD, IMD, S/N ratio, crosstalk, etc relatively simple. Which means this is what most people focus on. And then we get into a numbers game that ends in PPM distortion numbers, etc, which, in our opinion, do not always correlate to great...
 Exactly. Live and let live. As someone said on another forum, "If I get the best sound I ever heard by taping fifty $100 bills to my head, that's my bag. Who are you to be the arbiter of what I hear?" But yeah, we hew closer to the science side. Though that does not mean we always make stuff that objectively measures in the 0.0002% THD range, because we believe that isn't all there is to it. Which drives some people insane.