Posts by Docks

Lol, reference doesn't exist. Its pure marketing. The closest thing you will get to reference is using the same headphones as the artist used when creating the album.
I'm excited to see more interest in the fostex th900, keep us posted when comparing them to sig djs and any other bassier headphone.
Yeah, based on their response I was worried the peak (i think it was between 3-4khz) to make them sound a bit hard. However, I like darker headphones too.
The Denon Dxxx series although nice has a bit too much distortion in the bass area and is a hint too bright for this guy, especially considering the price. If you listen to lots of electronic music I think you can do better for the money. The Denons aim to be a bit more well rounded.
Just wanted to add - 700mkii and q40 are midbass (punchy) focused and roll off during sub bass. Both are very respectable cans.
I say try the M100, they don't have the sub bass rolloff like the signature djs and are 1/3 the price. If they aren't for you they are quite easy to resell.
M100 has boosted bass staying even until even 20hz. I would consider that sub bass focused. Lots of these mentioned cans roll off after 80hz leaving them as a punchy can but with rolled off sub bass. The denons have nice sub bass but have a bit too much upper energy for me. You have to decide if you want the ear massage from sub bass or punch from mid bass. Punchy cans can be difficult as they sometimes bleed into the lower mids sounding muddy. Ps don't get the pro 900,...
I say get the XB500s while you can. They have the biggest bass hands down. EQ the muddiness out and enjoy. They are a extremely fun headphone. Pro900 is bright and has above average distortion in the bass. D2000 is better but will leave you wanting more bass.
The D5000 has more bass than D7000, the D7000 will not give you that punch you are looking for. The TH900 look interesting.
Yeah heh, look at how much they bleed into the mids. The XB700s clean this bass bleed up but the treble peaks a bit earlier. This could be bothersome, still tempted to buy a pair of XB700 for the hell of it.