Posts by sphinxvc

One thing I completely overlooked when I bought the Invicta was the lack of a traditional RCA-type coax input.  Those with CD transports will have to settle for optical input.  Depending on the quality of your transport, this may or may not be a problem.  The 350C I use really sounds dope, even with optical.  I tried some other transports and found it totally lackluster.     SD card does beat optical, but just by a bit.  Optical sounds flatter, more cohesive, and...
It's an esoteric technology, the prices make sense to me.  Also, the absolute minimum you can spend is around $550 when Amazon auto-pricing decides to drop the ESP950s that low.  As far as what Stax "should do", they do as they damn well please, that much they have made clear.  They have, on multiple occasions, proven that they're willing to drive the company to the brink just to push the envelope & create a better headphone.  In true shokunin fashion, I don't think they...
Just post below to sign up for a chance to "win."   I only require that you pay shipping which is - $5.35 in the US (Paypal gift only) or $16.95 outside the US (again, Paypal gift only).  I will use a USPS small flat rate Priority box to ship.  I cannot fit the original box inside the flat rate box, so that isn't included.  It comes with carrying pouch, tips, cleaning tip, a clip thing and the manual.  I have a total of less than 1-2 hours on these.  I got them free...
Here are my thoughts on design/build. These came nicely packaged, accessories; all that jazz you read in the review.  The mostly metal construction is sturdy but the angled stem (metal strain relief) design creates (IMO) an unnecessary stress point.  In all my years of owning IEMs, I have stepped on mine more than once (stumbling around in my room).  Do the same at the wrong angle with the CX 985, and you're likely to break it.     [To be fair, stepping on IEMs does...
  I'll add that extracting full performance from a speaker system takes work.  Be prepared if you're going that route.  It's not as straightforward as the SR-009s would be.  You would have to install acoustic panels, buy and install or build and install your own diffusers, place the speakers, re-place the speakers, and re-place the speakers again until you get the image properly dialed in.  If you enjoy the endeavor of better sound it's worth it, but you should be sure...
^  I seriously think you need to read/search more.  Head-fi sucks...sorry, I mean Head-fi's search sucks, so use Google to site specific search head-fi.  Here's how.  There's years worth of answers to "novice" questions just like the ones you've been posting.   --   Good post, Spritzer. 
Assassin's Creed III, I just can't get myself to do it, to have fun playing this.  I enjoy following the story, I enjoy the cut scenes, but anytime I have to be playing, I don't enjoy myself.   Not a criticism of this game in particular though.  It's pretty nicely done overall.  
K1K & LCD-2 were kind of weird @ gaming.  HD800 I liked, but the bite got to me after a while, especially with shooters.   Those are really criticisms of the headphones though, over all it was pretty sweet, especially with the HD800.
I bought a PS3 500GB (the latest super-slim model) w/ Assassin's Creed III as a bundle 2 nights ago for $300+.  I bought it b/c I thought I might play some blurays, but it's an awful lot of money for just a bluray/netflix player and after a brief try, I decided I'm not really into the gaming aspect. I could return it, but they'll probably give me a whole lot of store credit which isn't appealing. Anyway, it's in virgin condition if someone wants it.  Shipping...
@ MT, Perhaps you're thinking of Pass Labs?  First Watt is pretty affordable.  $1.5-2K for M2 or F3.  $2.5-3K for J2.  Low power too.   A J2 was effectively stolen on Audiogon recently for $2K.     Line Magnetic stuff is super nice too (speaking from some brief personal experience).  Here's Devore demo'ing his speakers with Line Magnetic @ a recent RMAF, he also uses them at Monkeyhaus, which speaks to his confidence in them.   Eh, I say that but...I always...