Posts by sphinxvc

Cool.  Could you post your demo impressions of all three in the 'pics of your high end rig' thread?  It's a bit more conducive to that discussion than this one.  IIRC people were following your pre-demo thoughts on that thread anyway.
Might as well put the rent or mortgage into the calculation then.  
Twsmith, agreed wholeheartedly.  The SD option is certainly the most resolving.  I prefer it as the reference standard in my rig, but when I'm lazy to upload a new CD, the Cambridge/optical combination sounds really good, almost analogue-like but without the precision of SD.  Like I said, it's a more cohesive presentation where you have trouble pin pointing things, but the whole room just fills with the music.  Will have to try out the adapter at some point but for now,...
  That's awesome. 
UPDATE: This is sold.
Selling my Westone UM3X.  Had these for a few months now, great condition.  Have a number of tips (I think 4-5 sets).  Case, airplane adapter, cleaning tool all included.  Don't know warranty information (I bought them used).  I will ship USPS Priority small flat rate box (original box doesn't fit that box so it's not included.  This costs $5.35 in the US.  Shipping covered by buyer.  Paypal gift highly preferred or add 2.9%, see my feedback.   PM away.
Just discovered this based on a recommendation: http://www.zoekeating.com/projects.html   Listen to the first three tracks sampled there.  Sublime!
  Oh man, don't even get me started on that one.  
  Kjk, yes I compared them to the UM3X as well as the B2 (DBA-02 clone) which I have owned for a long time (no longer do).  Also in house were a pair of Stax IEMs (SR-003 + 252S energizer).  My expectations are based on those, plus the sum of my experiences with all my phones, including the top full size phones.     However, when listening to the CX 985, I mostly had the Brainwavz B2 in mind, which is the only sub-$200 IEM I hold in really high regard for how hard it...
Didn't even realize they sell those, will have to get some.  Thanks, Project86.