Posts by sphinxvc

I seem to be having withdrawal symptoms, I got all neurotic yesterday--needed a headphone--and if I could have found a decent deal it would have been the 650 but here I am with a jet black Vader Paradox on it's way to me.  Got what seems like a decent deal used.   I'll eventually find my way back to the fold, address my withdrawal more directly with crack.  Neutrality be damned.     That tube amp I sold a while back was also a perfect amp for the HD650, I'm still bitter...
  Glad it's working out for you.  All I noticed between it and the Stratos were mostly some spatial differences, minor other diff, but I don't think it would have been as apparent on headphones.
  It's DIY kit.  It's heavily documented on this site that the upgrade does pretty much what they say it does.  Also on their website: yes it requires soldering but they will build for you at a fee.  They used to advertise the fee but no longer do.
Odd, 'cause it says it right on their website.
So in case anyone is looking to unload a pair for a reasonable price, I'm looking.
I got a pair at the beginning of 2011 for $320 new, I called the same place today and they said something about Sennheiser and some kind of red tape and the best they could do was $379.  Can't seem to find any acceptable used deals either.  One guy wanted $305 for just the headphones with no cable.     I think I'm gonna target the HD600 instead, it seems to depreciate at a different (more reasonable) rate than HD650s for some reason.
I typed in the wrong page number and I ended up finding two separate interesting discussions, one starting here, and then the actual thing I was referring to starts here.  (The second just clarifies what was up in the air till then - efficiency).    Anyone know if the GSX is the same as a super symmetry Dynahi?
What you're facing here is the usual fission vs. fusion lynching party.  You've obviously made an effort to gather a few different variables and report on your findings and there's no harm in that, and neither is it something to shy away from.  What Preproman is so uneloquently saying  here, with the aid of unnecessary pictures, is that some of us have found success with high current, high quality speaker amps.  KG recently posted some thoughts on driving requirements...
Seriously.  Excellent explanation & visual.
Ah, well there you go then.  It's a total crapshoot.