Posts by amaynard

The effects are subtle, but definitely there - I would expect the decoding artefacts to be obvious even when using bulk standard quality headphones. The AAC playback is OK, and it is only in comparison with other decoders that I noticed the difference. There are clear artefacts on the MP3 playback - but only on quiet instrumentals with a complex frequency spectrum (e.g. piano). From what I can tell, this is not an audio output issue, but a decoding issue. Andrew
I'm using an Ibook G4 Titanium - the output is a little noisy, and not the best around, but still good enough to highlight differences in playback sound quality compared to the Ipod. The MP3 artefacts are only apparent on quiet but classical music encoded at high bitrates - quiet piano passages for instance sound like the player is underwater! The sound quality problems with AAC files isn't quite so obvious, but does affect all music types. I haven't tried this...
Has anyone else noticed that the sound quality from the Ipod is significantly inferior to that directly from Itunes on the Mac, or do I have a suspect specimen? I'm using a new Ipod with a standard CMOY amp and ER4-S's. The sound quality on MP3's and AAC's is OK, but rather fatiguing - I thought at first that it was just the compression, but listening to the same files in Itunes using the sme amp/phones is a revelation - the sound opens up considerably, the highs are...
Just to add my two cents worth to this... I had the same dilemma with buying the ER4P's, or the ER4S's with an amp to follow. Opted for the ER4S's as I knew I'd kick myself if I couldn't be sure of getting the best possible sound (at some point) for the money. They sound better when powered from a static source, but powered from a Technics (Panasonic) CD player they're good enough until I can afford a portable amp (defining 'good enough' as 'the best on-the-road...
So far I've opted for the rubber tips with relatively shallow insertion (but still a good seal). However I'm trying my first airplane trip with them this weekend, so we'll see how important the isolation factor is...
I'm now using a pretty similar insertion procedure. Lifting the ear up and out while 'scooping' the rubber tip in (initially push down, then level it out - the tip seems to be inserted deeply without creating a complete seal intil almost fully inserted, thus minimizing the pressure buildup. Releasing the ear completes the seal). This thread could get increasingly gruesome if all the gory details of everyone' techniques are revealed!
Quote: Originally posted by chych Isn't the Corda amp portable? What about Cmoy's amp, and a lot of those DIY amps are sure to be better than TAs... In danger of showing up my ignorance... where can I get info. on the Corda? Thanks
Quote: Originally posted by Greg Freeman The pressure buildup should only be temporary until the outer ear equalizes. This usually only takes 15 or 20 seconds for me with the rubber tips. While the pressure is unbalanced the response will change because the eardrum is constrained. That aside, I prefer the foam tips for comfort and ease. I can get the same sound quality with either. I roll them as small as possible and slide them in while pulling on the back...
I notice that with mains powered amps the HeadRoom models seem to struggle against the competition. But what about portable units? What is there out there that compares with the TA, supreme etc?
Quote: Originally posted by eric343 You know, I think that's one of the best descriptions of the foam vs. rubber issues yet. I don't think anyone else has posted it but I'm sure we've all noticed it! Thanks. I've just posted a new thread asking for opinions on the pressure issue.