Posts by JackKontney

Nice! That can be a busy time, so please call ahead to set up your appointment.
The fast answer to the title question = no. Electrical summation to mono is NOT equivalent to separate Left and Right signals within a single earpiece.   You mentioned the Sensaphonics 221 (http://www.sensaphonics.com/221). The 221 is a true stereo device, with a pair of full-range drivers (one for the Left signal, the other for the Right), housed together within a single earphone. The L and R outputs are sent down individual tubes and delivered to the inner ear. There...
I remain amazed that any self-described audiophile would put their hearing at risk by attempting DIY impressions.   It is an incredibly stupid idea, on many levels.   Sounds like you're in a relatively remote area, LostArk. I suggest you contact Sensaphonics at 312-432-1714 during business hours to discuss.
"...where he would sometimes lose the sound (would get muffled)" sounds like a fit issue to me, though a lack of seal would normally manifest as thin/tinny rather than muffled. Based on your description, it could also potentially be a dysfunction in the HF driver(s). Presumably InEarz tests for that.   If this wasn't an issue/symptom previously, there's no (hardware) reason it should be now. If this is sinus/allergy problem, it should manifest with other IEMs as well, so...
Hi Sharpegaz. Having many models to mix for is a common problem on a lot of stages. In my many years of experience and in discussions with monitor engineers for many bands, the recurring answer is, overwhelmingly, to get a set of flat-response IEMs.   In short: Start with the truth.   This approach allows the engineer to adjust consistently for variations across IEMs and the hearing/personal preferences of each artist. It's something I hear time and again in my...
 That's a big kettle of fish you just opened. I'll start by stating that I'm not an audiologist. NRR is a required spec on hearing protection products (earplugs, gun muffs, etc.). IEMs are NOT hearing protection products, so NRR does not apply to them. (Fun fact: There are actually foam earplugs on the market with an official NRR spec of ZERO!) Thus, the Sensaphonics isolation specification is not based on NRR. This is, AFAIK, true for all IEM manufacturers, even those who...
Hi majmin7...   A couple things: I would urge you (and everyone) not to get caught up in published specs as a decision driver for IEM purchases. For example, three companies using the same drivers and crossovers may publish wildly different frequency responses (e.g., 20-16k, 20-20k, 16-24k). The same can be true for sensitivity, for isolation, etc. In fact, if you make audio purchases based strictly on specifications, you will be just as likely to end up buying from the...
Ah, the wonders of soft silicone, a proper fit, and a natural sound signature!   Just goes to show, you don't need a lot of drivers to deliver amazing audio.
 We have a sizable number of bikers among our customers - custom earplugs, custom IEMs, and Shure sleeves. Frankly, it depends on the size of your ears, but if you are wearing the SE425 successfully, the sleeve should work fine. Feel free to contact Sensaphonics directly with any questions. You might also want to check out some biker forums. I know the k1600forum.com (BMW) has had discussions.
 Actually, Sensaphonics occupies both halves of that building's first floor -- offices and Musicians Hearing Clinic on the left, manufacturing lab and shipping on the right. Typically, the same person (the awesome Claudia) handles the phones, the walk-in customers, and the order entry for impressions shipped to us. It's a pretty efficient approach. We're a small, custom-only company, focused on serving musicians as our primary customer base since our founding in 1985. We...