or Connect

Posts by JackKontney

I totally agree with the conclusion of "quality impressions, pro audiologist, quality manufacturer" as key elements in creating a properly fitted CIEM.    However, the bite block is not universal, and is certainly not a required element. Different ear canals move differently in both size and shape when the mouth is opened. Works great for some, not for others. I've never used a bite block and never had a fit issue.   Just sayin'.   Oh, and a side note to you...
 Sounds like a minor fit issue. I suggest you contact Sensaphonics by email (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) for advice, or visit the audiologist who took your ear impressions. (I don't work inside the walls at Sensaphonics.)
The search for audio truth is a worthy one. That's why most of us are here. I salute your hands-on approach.   Some myths generate a new, better-sounding reality. Some myths generate unwarranted sales of green sharpies.   At Sensaphonics, we think the SCS stands proudly on its own. Many agree with us.   YMMV.
Understood, csglinux. We (Sensaphonics) just don't want to see alterations to the SCS ports becoming part of DIY audio mythology.   After all, the SCS itself is an after-market product improvement -- albeit one endorsed by Shure.
 Before end-user drilling gains any more DIY traction, I would like to point out that it should not be necessary. At all. Sensaphonics has been making Shure (and Etymotic) sleeves for over a decade, and AFAIK, this issue has never come up before. (BTW, the lab also points out that a Dremel does not generate the RPMs necessary to get reliably clean results with silicone. Obviously, csglinux found a workaround, but low RPMs can result in the drill bit catching and chewing up...
It all goes back to the seal test. That should tell you what you want to know re: getting a full seal.
The combination of "extremely comfortable" and "easy to pop in" can mean "too small to actually seal the ear canal." With very loud IEM products (many drivers, low impedance), it's possible to overcome poor isolation and/or lack of seal with sheer SPL. But that's not a healthy way to listen.
If the entire IEM is visible when viewed from the front, I too would be unhappy. But we can't change the size of your ears, nor the thickness of the silicone needed to create a stable home for your $1000 IEMs. The photos you posted don't show a head-on shot, but in the look from the front, it appears that the inside of the sleeve/shell isn't even touching your ear. The shot is out of focus, but to me, it looks like there's a gap. If so, that's wrong. If you'd like to...
Acknowledged and understood. I'll talk with the lab manager about the size of the bore hole, but my suspicion is that it is deliberately snug so that it "grabs" the nozzle of the IEM. Perhaps yours were misaligned. But all that is just my assumption at this point. The lab manager has stated he will investigate a wider bore, so we shall see. I'm quite sure it won't ever approach the diameter of the bore holes in custom earplugs, which are considerably bigger than any IEM...
 I agree that a photo of the 846 full-shell sleeve should be added. We will try to get that done shortly. The reason we make this product is market demand. When the SE846 was introduced, our normal Shure sleeves, as pictured on our website, proved inadequate in terms of stability with the bulky body of the IEMs. At the urging of our customers, we attempted an alternate solution - full-shell sleeves - that were enthusiastically accepted despite their relative bulk. We made...