Posts by JackKontney

Hm, nothing in DC proper, but there are a couple of highly recommended Sensaphonics Gold Circle audiologists in the area:   Johns Hopkins Medical Center Mariah Menichino Baltimore, MD 410-955-6153 – Email Pam Mason, M. Ed., CCC-A Bethesda, MD 301-296-5790 – Email   Hope this helps.
Or it could be an April Fools PR from yesterday...
For clarity, photos of the Sensaphonics custom Shure sleeves (shown with SE425). The added isolation is due to deep insertion, past the 2nd bend of the ear canal. The soft silicone also flexes with your ear canal, maintaining the seal.   BTW, Sensaphonics offers bundle deals for the SE846, SE535, and SE425 combined with custom sleeves that can save you a few bucks. They also make custom sleeves for most (not all) other Shure IEM models.
+1 on the Sensaphonics Seal Test, Tiop. That's your starting point for an an accurate read on the "is it me or are these things a piece of crap" question.   It will tell you categorically if you're getting full seal, which is critical for getting ANY decent bass response from balanced armature in-ear devices. (Things are different with dynamics like Apple buds.)   Everyone's ears are different, and "universal fit" is a marketing term. No more than 70% of IEM buyers are...
Happy to help. Please note that I am not an audiologist. Just a keen observer of the passing scene...   BTW, don't know your location, but if you're in range of one of the Sensaphonics Golden Circle audiologists, they are specifically trained in working with IEMs and musicians. Highly recommended.
It happens on the semi-regular. The cerumen prevents the impression material from getting a full, true impression, which means the fit is less likely to be completely accurate. A little wax can be dealt with, but some people develop deposits of impacted wax to the point of being problematic. Tough to give a percentage, but at trade shows, I would guess Sensaphonics has to decline to do impressions on 10-20% of the people ordering, due to excess earwax.  Fortunately, there...
Two good desiccant systems:   Renewable: Dry-Aid, $10 http://store.sensaphonics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Dry-Aid+desiccant   Electronic: for tours, heavy sweat situations, $75 http://www.sensaphonics.com/dry-store-zephyr-desiccant-system
 I'll try to address some of your questions.I can't address the idea of reshelling except to say that Sensaphonics does not and will not offer it. I think your concerns regarding changes in acoustics are valid. The "advertisement" in the Shure box is from them, not from Sensaphonics. We are their recommended supplier for this service. The silicone custom sleeves should give superior isolation; YMMV. Soft silicone custom sleeves are also likely to me more comfortable and...
Regarding the useful life of impressions: Sensaphonics (and almost all our Gold Circle audiologists) uses the pink, and we have a great track record for accurate fit with our clients.   Impressions do exhibit slight shrinkage over time. Generally, we will not re-make products with impressions more than 18 months old. However, your ear canals can also change. Physical maturity can be a factor. Significant weight change (up or down) can cause your canals to change...
Full details on the Sensaphonics website and Facebook page.   Link to 3D AARO press release.   Link to NAMM Specials details.