Posts by james444

Just reverse the tips and cut the stem down by a millimeter. Then put them on and listen. If they're still too dark / bassy, repeat. The shorter you trim the stem, the brighter / less bassy the result.  
 To add insult to injury, those Spinfit tips have the effect built into the tip itself (see red arrow).   In my opinion that's poor acoustic design, you'd never want a constriction like that in the midst of a bore. Just my 2c, ymmv.
 Sorry to say, the bolded part is a misconception. Shure tips don't impair sound quality on Shure IEMs, because their bore size is equal to Shure's nozzle bore. But stretch a Shure tip over the FX850's nozzle and it will render the JVCs unlistenable. The reverse-horn effect is for real, and while it's only mild with Spinfit tips on the JVCs, it inevitably affects sound signature. Always consider nozzle bore vs. tip bore, here's a quote from another thread where I've tried...
 There are several options to tame treble on the FI-BA-SS. The easiest one is to put a layer of non-woven fabric (alcohol swab, microfiber cloth) between the nozzle and tips. Another one is to use Sony hybrid tips for tuning, which have a slightly smaller bore size than the nozzle. These will make the FI-BA-SS sound almost a bit dark. Now, the trick is to gradually trim the tip stems, millimeter by millimeter. As the stems get shorter, the sound signature will become...
 Well, hats off to you for this reply, which is not only reasonable but also very funny. "An intense adjective slipped in" ... I'll have to remember this lol.  As for tracks that I like on the Ostry, I posted a classical one a while back (about half of my listening stuff is classical), got teased for it by @soundbear and then rummaged through my rock collection to shut him up. Start with this post and scroll down a bit, there's a whole bunch of tracks that I like on the...
 Sigh... do me a favor and re-read my post please:  It's not about the RE400, it's about the use of hyperbole like "destroy", "walk all over", "beat like a red-headed stepchild", etc... when comparing IEMs. Like Koolpep said, we're totally ok with you not liking the KC06 and preferring the RE-400, but that's not necessarily a destruction, annihilation, or what-not, it's just you liking one earphone better. Unless one of the contenders is actually flawed (which the KC06...
 Lol, kindly point me to my RE400 impressions.  Seriously, there's quite a bit more I could have said about that post, but I merely teased you about the hyperbole. I was being friendly, really.   No worries, I'm not in an argumentative mood.  x2.
 Congrats! To me, the TF10 tips sound a tad clearer than stock and I guess it's because they're less soft than the Spiral Dots. The difference is rather subtle though and I had to go back and forth several times to be sure. Anyway, I'd think the most important improvement are smaller cable connectors, especially if you wear your JVCs over the ears.
 I don't think tips will make that much of a difference. Maybe you got a lemon pair, or maybe they're simply not your cup of tea. PM me with your address and I'll send you one of my pairs for comparison.
Quote: Iirc, @shotgunshane did the same on his iPhone. Would be interesting to check your EQ settings against each other. Big thanks @gnarlsagan for your feedback!