Posts by applebook

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=069417 Just $13.
A warning about ecost --they charge about $50 for handing!
I think that the best place for used cans is here, but for new ones, sometimes eBay is decent. Headphone.com is the place for new Beyer, AKG, Senn, and Grado.
My CDP is very flat, so I doubt it. I think that I'm just tired of the overly bright Sonys.
I have the same problem as you, especially when I listen to Oasis or the Pumpkins, etc. with a Sony = major headache after a few songs even at medium volume. The 580/6XX series has more than enough brightness and highs for me - and I'm more of a treble-head - yet I've not experienced any fatigue after hours of listening.
Welcome to the club "In a world without walls, who needs Windows?"
Headphones that are accurate, particularly open-air cans, aren't supposed to have boomy, ear-tingling bass because hi-fi phones are meant to be "high-fidelity." If it's bloated bass that you're after, then consider some of the closed lower-end Senns or Sonys. If you think that you'll miss the details and fidelity that the Grados provide, then maybe get an amp with a good bass boost function. I personally hate anything that's not completely flat in frequency, but...
I think that Jude did an excellent job of comparind a few popular cables here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751 Right now I'm deciding whether to upgrade my amp or 600 cable and which cable to choose should I do that first. The Equinox seems most appealing because it supposedly offers greater detail and soundstage, two things that I honor the most in SQ, but the Cardas is cheaper and might be more easily obtained. The Zu Mobius cable is not...
Just because you can "feel" the base on a set of cans, it doesn't mean that the bass is clear, accurate, or tight. Many really lousy headphones have BIG bass that is muddy and completely artificial (rings especially true for closed cans). I'd try the SR-80 with an amp as well as giving the Grados at least 10+ hours of real listening and 100 hours or so of burn-in before making serious judgments. Your ears are likely very used to the sound from your other phones.
How long have you given the HD650? Your head needs to adjust from high-end speakers to headphones. Once your ears makes the transition, the HD650 should rival any speaker system, according to Stereophile and other hi-fi magazines. Headphones are not inferior to speakers, just different.