Posts by kingpage

I've got the white version. The 3D-printed cups indeed bring out the treble. In fact, it's a tad bright for me. For people who think HM5 is too smooth on the upper range or think there isn't enough energy in high frequencies, it is a good way to change the sound signature. However, because of the resolution of the 3D printer, I don't think it looks very good. And when changed, the cups will make the enclosures hard to swivel. Everyone seems to be praising Soundmagic HP100...
Puncturing a hole to create your own bass reflex port will only change the balance by decreasing the sub-bass and increasing the mid-bass, which then will introduce all kinds of problems for audiophiles (i.e. bloatedness, inbalance, overwhelmed mids, etc). That is unless you create a computer model of the headphone and are able to calculate the optimal size of the port to only affect bass below 50Hz or something similar, which may not be even possible depending on a number...
 It was very easy to disassemble, but one thing that bugged me was the small screws. I wouldn't want to unscrew them more than a couple of times, because I'm sure they will become useless very soon. I wish they'd use bigger screws that are more durable for DIY sake.
I've done some raw measurements. Check out if you want. What I like about it is that the emphasis is mostly in sub-bass. So the mids aren't affected unlike most bassy headphones.   http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods#post_10052487
I have upgraded my computer since last time I did measurements. The ADC (mic) is the built-in soundcard in Asrock Z77M. Both DAC and ADC have a flat response, much better than the cheap little USB sound device I used previously. I've made a new testing rig out of cardboard again.       This is what the FR of CAL!2 looks like. It's got almost perfectly flat bass from 20hz to 200hz. The mids don't sound recessed like that at all, probably because the boost is in the...
  Impedance: 32ohms (variable volume) Sensitivity: 105dB/mW Cable Length: 1.2m Price: US$199 ($129 now)   The original Creative Aurvana Live! (aka CAL!), which is still available for sale, was derived from Denon D1001/D1000 using Foster drivers.  CAL! is not only cheaper, but some would even say that it is also better than the Denon’s. Creative announced a new version called Creative Aurvana live! 2 a few months ago and is very kind to send me a unit for...
The CAL!2 pads are, I think, slightly thicker, and about 0.5-1cm bigger (4.5-5 vs 5.5cm). I don't feel as though my ears are uncomfortably touching the driver grill like with the original CAL!.   I plan to do some light modding to it after I've done the review, as I've done to the original CAL! before. I might do some FR measurements if I can get mic/rig working again like I did for the HM5 and HD 25-1-II. I'd need to start from scratch to set it up though.
Got it this morning. Some initial impressions: great sounding headphone out of the box. Not as V-shaped as the original, which is good. Warm but detailed, it reminds me of Sennheiser HD 25-1-II. Now, some burn-in first.
Similar driver but differently tuned.
  Y u no post in the DIY stand thread?   I love the orange colour BTW, what are you talking about?