Posts by Wrist-Fi

Quote: Originally Posted by Equus It's one of those fun things about airplane flight, since it becomes an offense to ignore the instructions of the flight crew and attendants. It might be a little excessive...but so are the liquor control laws in the state of Washington. As are Blue Laws in Connecticut...no alcohol sold after 9pm Mon-Sat, or all day Sunday.
Well, OK he didn't actually threaten to blow up the plane, but the way everyone initially reacted, you might think he did: Quote: Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ recently acquired wide receiver, refused to turn off his iPod on a flight Thursday from Newark, N.J., to Pittsburgh, leading an airline employee to call ahead to the Allegheny County, Pa., police who met Holmes when he got off the Colgan Air flight at Gate B77 at Pittsburgh International Airport, an...
Quote: Originally Posted by bikertrash I haven't read anyone mention so I will. I run WMA variable 240-355. It comes with Windows Media Player, and started using it just because it's there. Anyway how does it compare with V0? It was always my understanding that when using high bit rates that it doesn't really matter. Best to abx them both to see if it really does make a difference to you. My guess is like most people, you couldn't tell the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Hentai11 Trust your ears. I find 320 ABR a happy compromise. v0 is too low, I can hear the loss of quality on the rigs I use. 320 CBR is too high, I hear artifacts in old, low-bitrate analog recordings. Whether it's my ears or my equipment, V0 was only just a hair better to me than V2, so arguably using V0 is overkill -- at least for me, at this particular moment in time. I chose to encode everything in V0 just because...
Quote: Originally Posted by chinesekiwi Since Ogg Vorbis offers better quality at a lower bitrate, it will theoretically offer more battery life as although Ogg Vorbis is a more complex codec using a more complex algorithm, the extra CPU cycles used to process the more complex algorithm is far outweighed by the extra bitrate needed for mp3. If he wants extra battery life, he should read the sticky here:...
Quote: Originally Posted by chinesekiwi Plonter, see my post here. The post shows why Ogg Vorbis @ -q6 is better than VBR -V0 mp3. VBR -v0 mp3 is exactly the same as 320 kbps CBR mp3 using the same encoder. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6598535-post23.html Have you done any tests that say battery life is better with ogg on a portable player like a clip? It isn't as good as mp3. Plonter said he tried ogg in his first post, but was looking for...
Quote: Originally Posted by chews89 Hey guys, I've been player-less ever since my samsung died and am looking for something to replace it. I'm considering the clip due to it's extremely affordable price and expansive memory. But I have a few questions. 1. How is navigating music on a clip? The OLED screen seems so small it looks as though it will take forever to scroll through music (I had problems navigating with my Samsung T10) 2. Will it be...
Quote: Originally Posted by krmathis I would say: * LAME - the encoder * CBR 320 - constant bitrate at 320kbps It's really worth taking the time to run through some abx tests if you haven't yet. I can't tell the difference between V0 and 320. Frankly, most of the time I couldn't tell V2 from the original, but I use V0 to allow for a greater margin of error. Mp3 is all about size/transparency compromise. I have a collection of V0 mp3s and...
Quote: Originally Posted by plonter Hi all. trying to maximize battery life on my clip+ I decided to use lossy codec. I converted all my flac library(well...almost all of it) to ogg and it sounds great and the battery life improved significantly. but it is still very short. I read somewhere that ogg usually takes more battery than mp3 because it needs more processing power for decompressing (because it is encoded much better than mp3) so I thought...
Quote: Originally Posted by davidcotton Even though I've got a 32 gig touch I still think about getting one of these and a 16 gig card and shoving a collection of audiobooks on the thing so I've got something to listen to if the touches battery ever goes. Daft innit. Sounds a good rationalization as any to become a member of the Clip Cult. Free Cool-Aid & as much great sound in an awesome little device as you can stand. 38~ bucks gets you in...