Posts by ohhgourami

So there is no preorder date yet right?
No need to be so modest about your ideas. Not sure how much the difference would make, but I do have a lot of left over felt. What I'd prefer is to increase the inner diameter of the pads. I'd bet it would fix a lot of the minor flaws of the vegans.
Joel, interesting thought on the hard surface facing the driver. Is your Vegan pad different from mine because the underside of my pads are lined with pleather which is already a "hard" surface?
Depend how you attached the pads. I taped mine directly onto the cups while others insist on using the rings.
I've been repeating for the past 4 years that the Lyr does not sound good with HE-6. No body listens...
Only used the balanced headphone output. Assumed it was the same. Depends how much gain that thing has and what pre you're using. 36dB gain on the 400xi so 31dB attenuation gives it a lot more play on on volume. Someone at a meet thought the max volume couldn't go high enough, but I'd argue the guy was almost completely deaf.  Possible the overall noise floor of my house is lower than yours.
Nope! When I finally did some late night listening, the differences were obvious - big Krell was the winner. It's the only SS amp I've heard that can make staging seem real and solid. Rag is completely flat in that aspect, but does everything else just as good.
 Got rid of the noise floor with resistors. The KAV-400xi has really high gain so the noise floor is obvious. Used 100ohm and 3ohm 10W Dale Vishay resistors. Would gladly send you the resistors I used for the KAV-400xi for dirt cheap. I use no resistors on my FPB-300cx which has almost no noise floor.
Those are some strong words. Stock as good as modded? HA!   A bit of a shame to not let me beta test as been a proud owner of an HE-6 for 4 years. It has been the only headphone I've owned during that time while have demoed many high end rigs that were able to take those cans to their potential.
The mods are all quite easy to do. Completely reversible. You'll spend less than $100 to do it all. It's just a bit time consuming. Soundstage will open way up. You'll get much more air. All the details are easy to distinguish. Stock HE-6 was as an overload in a crammed space that you couldn't absorb. Want to make an SR-009 + BHSE sound unnatural? Listen to my rig! Sucks you right into the music. Really dynamic sounding; I didn't even know what dynamic sounding was until I...