Posts by keabler

Wow, it does look nice.  I usually don't pay that much attention to Fiio because they are generally below my price point (all though I respect them as a company for what they have done for the audio industry).  However, in the real world I design outerwear, and I really like the look of the Fiio E18.  It looks like it might be priced a bit higher than previous Fiio DAC/amps which is why I am excited for it.       Your opinion seems to be inline with what I've read.  The...
  Thanks for your insight!  I've looked at the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII before.  My only issue with that device was that it only samples up to 16-bit/48khz via USB streaming, and I would also use this as a portable desktop DAC.  The not-yet-available iBaso D Zero-SE looks interesting too since it will be using a Sabre chip and still feature a very small form factor. So in your opinion the Leckerton, Meier, and Apex are all in the same "league" of device?  I've read some very...
Hi all,   I'm going to be getting a new Android phone soon and I've been looking at getting a portable DAC/amp to pair with it.  My goal is to spend <$500 on a DAC/amp unit that is battery powered and has both a good DAC and amp.  I've been following this thread for some time and the leading option for me has been the Apex Glacier; however, I've read some reviews that praise the amp but seem to think the DAC is only adequate for the price range.  Are there any other...
Thanks for your reply.  I'm familiar with VA ratings.  I thought that they rated the maximum output of a transformer, but I wanted to be sure.  My previous transformer should have been able to handle the power that my circuit needed but it burnt out so I wanted to make sure that it was the transformer and not my understanding of the circuit.
Hi all,   A while back I built a Morgan Jones tube amplifier for my electronics lab's final project.  It worked beautifully until my transformer burnt out.  I've been looking at transformers and I have a questions about how they are rated for power.   I need a 500V CT transformer with a 6.3V heater tap.  My question is what do the current ratings mean for these voltages?  Are they the maximum current that the transformer can run at or the current that the...
I've used USB charging boards from ebay to charge rechargeable lithium batteries in other applications.  A 5V battery might be hard to come by though.  I was thinking of using a couple 3.7V batteries with a resistor to bring the voltage down.  If I did this circuit I would probably rig the battery/USB with a switch so that the amp could be charging on USB power or running off of the battery.   Charging board (smaller than a...
Interesting, I was under the impression that Sennheiser designs their headphones for 0 output impedance.   In my limited amount of direct comparisons, I have tend to agree that low output impedance improves sound.  
I'm looking forward to your comparisons!
Hi all,   I've been looking around for a DAC replacement for my Xonar D1 sound card for my PC.  I actually like my D1 and I run it through a Matrix M-Stage amp so the high output impedance isn't an issue. Any ways, I came across the Meridian Explorer and was very impressed by the reviews.  I also saw that some people were having trouble connecting this to their iPad and I think it is because the DAC is capable of 24/384 Khz.  I read on a review for the Leckerton...
If you live in Colorado (or might be passing though) and like to downhill Keystone or Winter Park are are the best lift accessed places in CO IMO.  If you are more interested in XC then I might suggest Vail or Breckenridge; however, non-lift accessed  bike trails might be just as suitable (and are usually free).     If you have never downhilled (DH) before you can usually rent gear to try it out; however, in my experiences DH has a steep learning curve and might not be...