Posts by meltdown100

In case this helps anybody who is shopping for a large capacity ipod:   http://www.ipodzens.com/ipz_prductinfo.aspx?prd_id=321   Might cost a bit more than the ones on ebay, but these guys appear to have these in stock and they should be completely refurbished (new outer case) and in my opinion this older 5.5 gen model provides noticeably better sound quality compared to the newer models.     The 5.5 gen ipod video used a very good Wolfson DAC, and happens to...
The resistor is in the cable for the ER4S?  Meaning, if I were to recable them using a 3rd party connector like the Westone ES ones sold on ebay I could actually turn them into an ER4P?  Just trying to verify if the only difference between the P and S is in the cable.
Thanks - the only problem with stores like Guitar Center where monitors are sold is that they tend to be very noisy. I'll give it a try though.
I'm going to jump back in here with my question that has gone unanswered - Mauricio, I read your thread.  What I'd like to know, is if the proper active design gets rid of the latent hiss that I hear when I had the B&W MM-1 and Focal XS Book powered on, even with no audio input connected.  It would be great if you, since you seem to be pretty versed on the differences, could provide your thoughts based on your ownership / experience with the actives you...
Thanks - good to know.  I'd expect there to be something if I placed my ears real close to the speaker, and would be fine with that amount of noise / hiss.  No amped speaker is going to be completely quiet when powered up, I just don't want to be able to easily hear it from sitting distance.   I definitely do not want to have to return a third pair of speakers, but I'm kind of undecided about whether to get active monitors like the KRK or Yamaha vs. the Swan M200...
Maurico - I appreciate the response.  Problem is size with the bigger monitors you're recommending, the footprint is massive and I have to have room to work on the desk.  The Yamaha HS50M for example is in the same price range for a pair (about $400) but a 9x11" footprint is a bit large.  I'd like something a bit smaller and less powerful that sounds accurate and has no audible hiss from near-field listening.  The KRK RP5G2 is a little smaller in the footprint at 7x9"...
Hi Everyone,   I've been hunting for a nice desktop 2.0 system and thought this thread would be a great place to ask about the 'hiss' that I'm hearing on the 2 powered systems I've tried out so far.  My first purchase was the B&W MM-1.  Sounded very nice, I was a bit apprehensive about the 16-bit DAC (vs 24-bit) and bass-enhancing DSP but in the store where I auditioned them they sounded really nice, so I gave them a try.   Fed them from the USB on my Mac Mini,...
Just to chime in and clarify - I've done that when the drivers are vented, it has the effect of moving the baffle from the back of the driver and places it behind the cup screen.  As most of the Grado modders can attest, the number of holes opened on the stock Grado drivers will affect the amount and quality of bass - too much and they start sounding muddy and lose precision on faster music.  So doing this basically still allows the driver to breathe more and increases...