Posts by Roller

The bottomline of Windows 8 is crystal clear, there is a new UI forced onto users by default along with some features removed since Windows 7. However, restoring all removed features is easily done without adding any sort of overhead to Windows 8. More importantly (the true gem about Windows 8) is the fact that the under the hood improvements are significant, such as faster I/O operations, lower system resource usage, improved USB DAC compatibility and better video...
I'll just say the following (as pointed on the previous post), the currently highest quality OpenAL renderer uses up to 15% on a quad core CPU (which is far from negligible). 15% of CPU cycles is a rather significant performance hit, one that would be entirely avoided by offloading it to the audio processor. And yes, overhead is minimal enough to be imperceptible by both human eye as well as by numbers.   OpenAL's advanced features are only available on hardware...
  Indeed, software OpenAL is available on all devices, while hardware OpenAL is limited to Creative Audigy and X-Fi cards. And due to being an open standard, it's used not only on Linux but also on mobile devices, even on walled gardens like iOS.   About games that run on OpenAL with hardware support, you can be sure that sound effects simply aren't as good when running software OpenAL, with Race Driver Grid, Dirt Series, Battlefield Series and Bioshock as a couple...
Believe me, I do understand what you mean. Audio hardware is also overpriced around here, and international orders aren't always desirable.   Just make sure you enjoy your card as much as you can
Relatively close results are to be expected, with the Essence STX being slightly better, as well as having swappable opamps, which allows for further customization.   Bottomline is, the Phoebus is a good card, just a bit overpriced, IMHO.   Also, I find it quite odd that you see the Essence STX being more expensive than the Phoebus, as most markets have it priced lower than the Phoebus. But I do understand how some markets have unbalanced prices...
Hum, I was under the impression the timer dropped to 1ms when in use, and custom settings were required to lower it to 0.5ms.   Do you happen to know of any method to lower it below 0.5ms?
Well, for gaming and gaming alone, the Xonar Phoebus will provide a more stable gaming experience than the Essence STX, due to better software compatibility, which I believe is what you got your Xonar Phoebus for.
  Don't worry too much about it. None of those external DACs would've been a better option for gaming because most external DACs lack any sort of gaming audio support. The Xonar Phoebus does have some gaming support and will work acceptably with modern games, that have software based audio renderers without hardware extensions. You will be limited in terms of advanced audio on older games, but if you just play recent games, that's not so much a concern.
It should be noted that on supporting Windows OSes as well as supporting hardware (not all hardware is capable of), HPET is disabled by default and has to be manually enabled. It should also be noted that while HPET can help with latency, it introduces issues on video related tasks, so that might be something to consider. Audio wise, HPET should be (in most cases) a superior option to RTC. And as mentioned previously, the Windows 8 scheduler is indeed improved, as well...
  Actually, positional cues are used on a lot more genres, not just FPS games. For instance, RTS games become much more immersive when better positional cues, as well as helping with competitive gaming by being able to easily pinpoint incoming units or even distinguish friends from foes.   Again, you seem to fail to grasp the concept that CMSS-3D and the algorithms are entirely separate features that can work in tandem. Let me repeat it again, CMSS-3D and positional cue...