Posts by Mad Lust Envy

Glad it's working out for you. Mine has a permanent spot in my setup.
I haven't wanted a headphone as much as the 400i. I'm practically foaming at the mouth.
The HE-4 definitely sounded more magical with the Lyr than the SA-31, though it did sound more technically accurate and cleaner withthe latter. The HE-4 just had a rawness that I really liked with the Lyr, especially in the bass. The HE-4 sounded almost reference with the SA-31, but not as dynamic. I know if I were looking to amp the HE-4, the Lyr 2 would be on the top of my list. People can say all they want about how the HE-4 isn't as hard to drive as people state, but...
Most comfortable headphone? Ultrasone HFI-15G. No, really. It weighs nothing, has super soft on ear pads (trust me, even as on ears, nothing full sized compares, even the MA900), and the build quality is nuclear winter proof, despite it looking cheap. It's also open and bassy, which isn't common. It looks retro, and feels cheap, because it's all plastic and doesn't weigh a damn thing. Don't let that fool you. I recommend it to anyone wanting a compy headphone that is...
Don't get the 550....just don't...
HE-560 Rev. 22. This is going to end up being quite costly for hifiman to constantly replace older 560s with every incremental improvement. I definitely won't be buying the HE400i upon release, not with these constant revisions. I'd wait until about Rev. 9. even then, I'll be cautious.
Transistor is out!
Transistor is out! Goodbye world.
The Alpha Dogs are one of the most open sounding headphones I've ever heard, and it's quite closed. Considering I've heard things from the AD700 to the Q701, that says a lot. You want an open sounding planar, the Alpha Dog should be quite up there on your list. There's being open, giving you the open sensation from the lack of seal, and then there is an closed headphone that seals incredibly well, yet sounds as if you're wearing an open headphone is a very, very quiet...
I would imagine the 5LE would have less distortion/more control of the drivers, with a snappier response. So I could see it still being better. HFM seems to think so, considering the 5LE remains the pricier headphone.