or Connect

Posts by Mad Lust Envy

It's like audio components of back in the day. Stuff just had higher quality internals compared to today, where you have to pay a LOT to get similar quality.
I'm fully aware of VA drawbacks, such as bad off angle contrast. This doesn't matter a thing to me, as I'd be using this as a monitor, where I'd always be sitting dead center to it. IPS has horrible glow, terrible blacks, and thus much worse contrast. I won't be watching my content from the side, so IPS advantages do nothing for me. The VA response time of the X800D is actually on par with IPS. IPS screens tend to have a 4ms rating, but that is only in OPTIMAL, controlled...
Be aware that the 49" is IPS, and I have no clue what the 55" is, since it isn't sold in the US. I'd suggest a higher line Sony/Samsung instead. The ONLY reason I'm concentrating on the 43" X800D, is because it's the ONLY one of that size to have true HDR color gamut. If I moved to 55" I'd consider probably a Samsung with a VA panel instead (like the KS8000) (bigger Sony sizes are IPS panel and not VA, meaning horrible black levels, unless you go for a X930D which happens...
Because apparently console gamers can't also play on PC and vice versa. PC lacks the PS4 exclusives (a big deal for me as someone who plays a lot of Japanese games that are console exclusive). That alone is worth consoles. I don't buy many games, but when I do it's usually something that never makes it to PC. Though of course, I do buy the dirt cheap PC games. Oh, as for TVs, also wanna check out http://rtings.com which also helps in the review and input lag front. They...
Sounds like a good choice to me.
Grados are known to have a very limited soundstage, which betrays their very open backed design. I wouldn't have high hopes for the SR80es to be stellar in soundstage. Still, as with most headphones, virtual surround helps EVERY headphone, and should make it fine.I had a cheap one from Monoprice back when I used the first gen Mixamp. It converted optical to digitial coaxial without any issues whatsoever.http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2948Worked like a dream,...
I can't say anything about the 400S since I haven't tested them. Planars that I've used aren't the *best* in soundstage, but I've generally been happy enough with them for all uses. The exceptions are stuff like the Ether C and Alpha Dogs which had clearly amazing soundstages, IMHO. The planar landscape has changed a bit since I was heavility into this hobby, so perhaps that's all a moot point now.
That's what I mean, I don't know what you own.
Let me know how they work out for you. And for which headphones.
Just have to make sure you set the Dolby Headphone room mode to 2 if you want the general DH. You'll find it in the software's control panel. DH-1 sound less procesed but not as spacious, and DH-3 is way too echo-y and synthetic. DH-2 is a good trade off, and what most devices like the Mixamp used for years. Newer soundcards I don't think have Dolby headphone rooms, but a slider. I'd assume something like 50-60% on the surround slider is the rough equivalent of DH-2. I...