Posts by Mad Lust Envy

Trying to be more 'business' less 'pleasure'? I still would like to hear the 400S to see how well it fares against other balanced headphones, but there is a difference between wanting to hear and compare, and NEEDING IT LIKE A DRUG, like I'd want a HE-400 MKII. Hifiman just keeps playing it 'safe'. Safe is boring. Can't wait until a new planar dev caters to the fun crowd. Like a Denon/Fostex (though not that drastic TH-500RP, but more along the lines of their dynamic...
I've moved up and down the price tiers. I'm at the point where I know exactly what I want, and don't need to spend a lot of money for it. The mid-range price bracket is basically ideal price to performance-wise. The only thing I honestly want is basically that improved 400, or something along the lines of a planar X2. That's it.Even to the point of selling the superior TH-900, because it's overkill for my needs.
Yeah, I fear you're right. Fang must've seen all the people wanting an actual successor to the 400, which baffles me why he ignored the pleas yet again. Not everyone wants a reference tonality. Headphones like the TH-900 prove that people love colored high end headphones as well. Had the impressions said that it really sounded like an overhauled 400, I would've ordered one on the spot. I miss the planar sound, but the OG 400 is too treble spiked.
I hope people don't misconstrue my disappointment. I'm very convinced the 400S sounds great. My problem was never that. My problem was continuously calling headphones HE400 anything, when they stray too far with what made the OG 400 a standout, their non-conformist sound signature. People with a taste for balanced sound signatures have limitless options, while those who want extra liveliness, have to deal with less than desirables half the time. Was really hoping Hifiman...
It was. Had actually a very robust bottom end and lower mids. The upper mids were scooped out, with a staggering rise in treble, which is my main real complaint. If rhey just reduced treble by a bit, it'd be a lot more tolerable, and would make lovers of fun cans very happy. The bass and lower mids were fantastic. Based on what Matt is saying (and I trust him), the 400s is more along the lines of an HD600 type signature. Definitely the opposite of what I want. There's a...
Well, Matt just confirmed its a lot closer to the 400i than the 400, which is disappointing. Sound frequency curves have nothing to do with sensitivity and whatnot. Headphones can be tuned for a specific target. You have $20 headphones that mimic planar curves.
Looks like the HE-400S is yet another well balanced headphone at the $300 bracket. Because we don't already have a flood of well balanced headphones with the same general curve. My dreams of an actual improved 400 is gone. Ah well. Gone are the days lf energetic sounding planars in favor of samey, flat curves. Im disappointed.
I remember Fang mentioning that he tuned the 400 for bAmerican sensibilities. Looks like how outright ditched that and is now making the same sound signature for different price brackets. A damn shame.
Bass when called for = excuses basically letting us know that it won't touch the OG 400 bass. I'll pass. Im not looking for another well balanced headphone. Looking for an ACTUAL damn 400 successor. Meaning that bass, and an improved treble. Not a complete change from it. This is just another baby balanced headphone. How many planars are we gonna get from rival companies that follow the same damn curve? The 400 was popular for a reason. Would it kill them to just do...
No Fostex in the champagne room.