Posts by tdockweiler

I hated this at the theater but felt I would have probably loved it if it was 10 hours long! It felt like it needed to be much longer.Each storyline could have had it's own movie! They should have had Peter Jackson direct it and make it into 4 movies. Adding armies of robots for no reason at all also helps.
Pompeii - 6.5/10   I actually kind of liked this. Believe it or not the best parts were when stuff was NOT blowing up. The chariot scene is totally ridiculous and something out of "2012". You know how when the person has only a .1% chance of living and ends up OK. The acting could have been much worse. Storyline is pretty lame. I liked the gladiator scenes and the two main characters despite them not getting a lot of dialogue. This one felt like a TV movie for some...
 I hope it's under $150! That was one weird headphone. It had more low bass than stock Q701, but yet it's mids were way too thin for my liking. Probably worse than the original K702.It was really a boring headphone for me and not because of it possibly being neutral. When I bought it I originally paid $300 and thought the $150 KRK KNS-8400 was much better. The smaller version of the K550 (forget the model, sorry!) sounds like it might be a little better. The graphs looked...
 The worst thing is watching a video on youtube and the sound gets all garbly/garbled. I think the uploader accidentally set the audio compress to 4kbps or something. The worst experience on a "regular" movie was watching all 20+ hours of "World at War" on DVD. I had to adjust the EQ just to hear the dialogue of that. They even put that movie onto blu-ray! I hope they fixed it. The worst sibilance I ever got was on a DT-990. Got tons of the SSSsssss sounds on female...
 Only thing i've ever heard is that some have been a LITTLE thin/bright and then .. not so bright. I even heard one guy call the Magni warm. Huh?! I'd have loved to hear that! Probably virtually impossible! I doubt Schiit makes little tweaks to the sound of their amps, but it's always possible. If they do they must be very subtle changes. Mine was a little thin/tinny with some headphones like the Q701, but overall pretty good with almost everything. Mine was purchased on...
Monoprice cables are very overrated. The only thing they have going for them is a dirt cheap price, tons of of plastic and decent shielding. I find Wal-Mart RCA/GE branded junk even better. Sorry! I'd rather buy locally whenever possible.   I know size doesn't matter, but the wire inside a Monoprice is like thread thin (doesn't matter much). It's like 99% plastic. It doesn't even look like copper!   I hate to say it, but I might pay an extra $20 on a USB cable for...
1. Tony Bennett Awesome Edition Vol. 2 (with M50 pads and desktop amp/dac ONLY) 2. Q701 (stock or modded) 3. HD-650 4. HD-598   #1 is there because neither of the rest really do anything better. They do everything WORSE. The ONLY advantage they have is that they're open. HD-650 costs $500 retail and manages to sound more muffled and less clear than my $50 headphone. Luckily bass ported modded Q701 gets close to the TB sound, but still can't compare in low bass...
 You could say that, but stock it's never really cold/analytical itself. The bass mod definitely made it sounds much fuller in the mids. Graphs seem to say otherwise, but that's what I hear! This stock Q701 with a good amp/dac can be sort of chameleon like (but NOT like the DT-880!). Sometimes how warm/cold it is depends on the actual recording. I've always said that sometimes with REALLY horrible tracks it can sound like an AD700(!) and on others almost like an HD-650....
 The Fiio E9 has tons of power and is not a low power output amp. Maybe you were referring to the E10 or similar. The E9 itself probably has just as much power output into 62ohm as the Matrix M-Stage. Someone should look it up. I wouldn't be surprised. No, not say the E9 is as good or better.. The E9 basically makes the Q701 sounds nearly the same as it does on the Ifi iCAN and Schiit Vali. A little worse, but the same general sound signature (neutral). I do agree that the...
 Definitely would have to disagree with this. For ME the Q701 has always been warm. No doubt about it. On the O2 and Magni + a bright source (such as an Ipod Touch 2G) it's much less warm and more sparkly and thinner.If I ever find the Q701 NOT warm then I know something is wrong. Possibly bad DAC and Amp combination. None of my gear is dark or warm really at all. I think the modded Q701 (the above notes were stock) is very close in sound to my HD-650, but the HD-650 is...