Posts by tdockweiler

Most likely they're all K712 pads now with the taller sides.If someone ordered pads for their "Annie" they'd probably get something that sounds a little different (better). Also, the Q701 bass mod works on the K400. There are several versions of the K400 and mine had a foam "plug" on the back that I removed. My 2nd K400 is totally open but is still bass light. Some can't be modded.This foam piece can get stuck inside it's hole if you're not careful. I noticed in that How...
BTW has anyone tried the non modded Q701 with K712 pads (not the flatter Annie pads)? I want to buy some but $70 is too much. I hate the Annie pads but like the K712 pads.     I tried the K712 pads on the modded Q701 but it was warmth overdose. Some might like it but it felt too congested sounding. I bet it could be fixed with small modifications to the outer foam and inner grill.   Also..I tried taping the K601 pads once on my K400 and it really does help improve...
Here's some new measurements of the Q701:   http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=4233193   Maybe someone can email the owner and ask him to measure them with the mod!   For comparison:   Q701      
 As for budget amps i've tried for the Q701 ONLY I'd rank them as follows: Headroom Micro Amp (+ Astryodyne PS unit)iFi iCANFiio E9 (E09K)O2Magni Vali is also great for the Q701, but it's not suggested if you plan on getting lots of other headphones in the future.Magni is less of a good all-rounder than the O2, but not too bad. I never had a headphone sound bad from the Fiio E9 honestly..it's not perfect though. It has a touch of warmth to my ears. Micro Amp is not sold...
Had a weird experience with the modded Q701 in the last month or so..   Been using the HD-650 constantly with the O2 in my bedroom for gaming/movies and it sounds great. Perfect everything mostly but the soundstage is not very large most of the time. Kind of more closed in than i'd like. I'd switched to the modded Q701 and it sounded much more tinny/thin and bass light than it usually does. I really could not stand it and would always miss the HD-650. I mean it's...
I have no way to really confirm it, but I've been swapping between the DJ100 with M50 pads and my Tony Bennett version with M50 pads. It does feel as if the Tony Bennett version has slightly more treble and a slightly more open soundstage. The TB seems to do a slightly better job with anything that requires a large soundstage such as acoustic music or classical. The CD "Buena Vista Social Club" sounds much more spacious sounding on the TB for whatever reason. The DJ100...
Bad Grandpa - 5/10   Wish I had skipped it. Somehow the grandpa scenes in the actual Jackass movies are far more funny. Rented this for $4..ugh..should have not passed it up at Redbox for $1.50 a couple days earlier.   Neither of the characters could act IMO. The guy who played "Borat" was totally convincing as an actor..but Knoxville..not so much. I know it's not supposed to be all about the acting, but it was just bad..   BTW I can't wait to see the Japanese film...
Rage - 7/10   Not too far into this game but I got tired of being errand boy for all the locals. There doesn't seem to be much storyline here at all. Graphics are very impressive for a game that's a few years old. Not sure if I want to finish this one but I might anyway.   Anything else out there like Bioshock 2 and Dishonored? I loved those games and need a good FPS.   I bought Assassins Creed 4 but haven't even opened it yet! Got it on Black Friday...   Was...
Remains of the Day - 8/10   Felt it was nearly perfect until the very end, which basically ruined it for me. I wanted it to have a typical Hollywood happy ending!   I really haven't seen many movies lately. I'm engrossed into a TV series called "Doc Martin". It's the first series i've watched regularly since "Macgyver" back in the 90s! Most TV is garbage unless it's a documentary or something similar.   Oh I did finally get to see "Bridge on the River Kwai" on the...
The Frogmen - 8/10   Really enjoyed this movie. It's about the US Navy underwater demolition team during WWII. What they'd do is sneak in near the shore of an island before a major marine/army landing and get rid of all the obstructions with bombs after mapping it out. I believe they didn't start doing this until after Tarawa (need to check into this). Some of it's themes reminded me of "12 O'Clock High". Lots of the men wanted a reassignment because they didn't like the...