Posts by tdockweiler

Bridges at Toko-Ri - 7.5/10   This one would have ranked higher but the main characters all die at the end. It's as if they took the easy way out and sort of wanted to send us a stupid message. Maybe it's based on what happened in real life? Doubt it.   Anyway, this is an old movie about a Korean war pilot who has to go and blow up bridges in North Korea and gets shot down. William Holden plays the main character.   The first part involves Mickey Rooney getting in...
 I saw this two times in the theater and liked it but never wanted to ever buy it or watch it again. To me it felt like someone had filmed their dreams or memories of their family despite some of it not making sense. It really doesn't have much storyline obviously. It reminded me of the time we watched all this old film my grandmother took back before I was even born. In it my mom was probably less than 8 years old. The director's next movie is the most boring movie ever...
 He's one of my favorite director's but a couple of them have bored me to death. I didn't really get the appeal of "Still Walking" but I can appreciate it more a year after watching it. There's not too much to it and maybe younger people can't relate to the characters in the movie until they're older. The movie sort of reminds me of those Yasujiro Ozu movies where I found them to be a snore fest when I was 16-18. Now I love them. Koreeda's best movies are "I wish", "Nobody...
 I recabled my old DJ100 and it was a major pain in the butt. I did it and removed all stock wiring and that's kind of overkill since you can still get some benefits of a recable with the internal wiring still there.For my Tony Bennett version I love Mogami W2893 (dirt cheap). It has very good shielding but is really not the best for portable use. Most of the time I use my Cardas HP1 cable I got from Headroom on sale for $35 or so. It's a bit more pricey but it was worth...
Godzilla (2014) - 8/10   First half an hour was best and then it slowly went downhill. Brian Cranston should have been the main character instead of that unknown other guy.   BTW it's better than the remake of King Kong and Jurassic Park (no surprise there).   Not sure if it's just my lame theater, but some scenes in this early on were VERY dim.   This movie reminded me a lot of parts of the Japanese film "Land of Hope" (about the aftermath of the earthquake and...
Monuments Men - 7/10   Nowhere near as bad as I expected. I liked this but Clooney made the story as dull as possible. There is really no action or real suspense of any kind. Just pointing that out and I'm ok with this. Maybe one part when the Russians are coming. None of the characters felt really realistic at all and they're also rather dull with no real personality of any kind. Some of the scenes have this very abrupt end to them that makes no sense. It's as if the...
 I thought that movie was awful too. Way too graphic/violent and the blood and guts overkill seem to make it less fun and just more depressing to watch. You can still manage to make a movie fun/entertaining AND very violent, but most directors don't know how to pull this off. Die Hard 1 and 2 manages to do this for me. Roland Emmerich is also able to make end of the world movies fun and not so depressing 100% of the time. Well, I'd say he's made some of the worst movies...
 I hated this at the theater but felt I would have probably loved it if it was 10 hours long! It felt like it needed to be much longer.Each storyline could have had it's own movie! They should have had Peter Jackson direct it and make it into 4 movies. Adding armies of robots for no reason at all also helps.
Pompeii - 6.5/10   I actually kind of liked this. Believe it or not the best parts were when stuff was NOT blowing up. The chariot scene is totally ridiculous and something out of "2012". You know how when the person has only a .1% chance of living and ends up OK. The acting could have been much worse. Storyline is pretty lame. I liked the gladiator scenes and the two main characters despite them not getting a lot of dialogue. This one felt like a TV movie for some...
 I hope it's under $150! That was one weird headphone. It had more low bass than stock Q701, but yet it's mids were way too thin for my liking. Probably worse than the original K702.It was really a boring headphone for me and not because of it possibly being neutral. When I bought it I originally paid $300 and thought the $150 KRK KNS-8400 was much better. The smaller version of the K550 (forget the model, sorry!) sounds like it might be a little better. The graphs looked...