or Connect

Posts by tdockweiler

Thief - 9/10   An old Michael Mann film from 1981 and starring James Caan. It even has a soundtrack from Tangerine Dream. Would have given it a 9.5/10 if it wasn't for the last 15 minutes. Hard to believe I was only ONE when this came out! Strangely James Caan today doesn't look all that much different these days. I liked him in "ELF" (which is a favorite of mine).   BTW this one reminded me of "Goodfellas". There's not much violence in it until the end when it gets...
 That's why I avoided them. Figured they were just some dumb movies aimed at teens like the Divergent Series, Harry Potter or Maze Runner.This is one reason I was so surprised with "Hunger Games". Expected to hate it. I only got it because it was only $4 on DVD. I also don't like the idea of a movie/story where children are forced to hunt each other down and kill one another. I know it's due to a corrupt government etc, but still...Strangely the 1st movie is not...
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 8.5/10   I saw Hunger Games for the first time and liked it so much that I went out and bought the other two. Biggest surprise for me since I was positive i'd hate it. This one isn't as good, but still entertaining. A few stupid parts and at times I thought I was watching "Jumanji".   Considering the theme of the movies, they sure are sugar-coated. I guess that's why they did so well at the box office. It's really amazing how they...
Hunger Games - 9.25/10 JCVD - 7/10 Lord of the rings: Two Towers - 10/10 (Extended version)
Spectre - 9/10   Hated the last James Bond movie and found it dull/boring. This one I liked from start to finish mostly. Some people might hate it since it's basically non-stop action and more like a Mission Impossible movie.   BTW why do Imax screens still look like crap? Why am I never wowed by some impressive video quality?   Last time this happened was for "Oblivion" (no kidding) and "Planet Earth" on blu-ray on my old Sony 46" HD TV.   I want to see a movie...
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 8/10   I've seen the entire series now maybe 4-6 times. Both versions of them. I just finished the Two Towers and Return of the King. For some reason I'm now finding that they don't really hold up to a ton of viewings and get worse. They get more and more boring and I have a hard time getting interested in what's going on. I LOVED them on the first and 2nd viewings.   The characters are not very interesting and the acting...
Truth - 8.5/10   Latest Robert Redford movie. Really liked this one and I doubt it will do well at the box office. Reminded me of some parts of Erin Brockvich and Michael Clayton.   The last few Robert Redford movies have been very good. First "All is Lost" and then "A Walk in the Woods". I also just saw his movie "Sneakers" today. Love that one and give it a 9/10 and have seen it dozens of times.   BTW IMO Jake Gyllenhaal has been a good actor ever since "October...
Steve Jobs - 8/10   Would never have seen this but saw some reviews and figured it was worth seeing since I was bored. Overall I liked it, but some of it is too over-dramatic. Felt like a soap opera. One sequence during the middle was just so overblown. The director though managed to make this one very entertaining. Never bored at all. Felt like a thrill ride compared to the snore-fest "The Martian".   Acting by most everyone was good, but the guy who played Steve...
Bridge of Spies - 9/10   Reminded me a lot of "The Lives of Others". This one drags a bit in the middle, but overall it was better than expected. Some might find it boring. I wouldn't see it more than once at the theater.    
Tomorrowland - 3/10   Possibly the worst movie i've seen in maybe 10 or more years. Just painful to watch from start to finish and not one good scene at all really. Acting is terrible from everyone except for George Clooney. They spend $200+ million on this? Must have all been on the special effects, because they forget to spend money on the more important things. The storyline is just a mess and makes no sense at all. It must hold the record for the most eye-rolls...