Posts by tdockweiler

They have a live action version of this now too. Not sure if it's any good. Japan only release I believe.
 You should try to find a region free DVD player and import them. Many players can be "hacked" using button presses on the remote.I use an Oppo DVD player that can play PAL format discs and any region. I think most of the Kurosawa stuff can be imported from Hong Kong on legal discs for dirt cheap. HK often releases cheaper versions of Japanese movies. For example there are a ton of Yasujiro Ozu movies that got a HK release. For some reason DVDs in the UK are cheaper than...
Fury not realistic? Than what is? To me it's one of the more realistic WWII movies Hollywood has given us. Ok, all except for that gung-ho last scene non-sense. That's where they nearly ruined it. Stuff like "Saving Private Ryan"  is a joke when it comes to realism, except maybe the very first scene. At least they were able to make it entertaining. "Fury" really was no fun to watch and a chore to sit through. Doesn't mean it's bad.   I was thinking if you wanted a...
The Last Man on Earth (1964) - 4/10   Way worse than the Omega Man (which was terrible too) and "I Am Legend". Made me want to see "The Dawn of the Dead" and it's remake again. Not a fan of horror movies usually. Tempted to see "The Walking Dead", but might be too graphic/gory. Then again, it's only a TV series..   BTW another similar movie is "The Quiet Earth". No zombies in that one though. It's from New Zealand but is easy to find in the USA.   I also went to see...
The Imitation Game - 10/10   I was a bit worried this would be too similar to the lousy movie called "Enigma", but it's not. Loved this one. It's entertaining, has some comedy in it and makes you think. There's a lot of history in here that most Americans are probably not aware of. It's not an action movie with lots of special effects or anything like that. It's mostly about the people who broke the WWII enigma codes.     I've seen all but 2 of the Best Picture...
 FYI that's a fan made trailer. Here's the real one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE Only thing I like about the new movie is that Lawrence Kasdan is writing the screenplay.Same guy who wrote the originals (along with George Lucas maybe). Lawrence Kasdan is also one of my favorite directors. Hope he makes another movie someday.
 Have you read the book? The more and more I think of this movie the more I dislike it.I keep thinking of how I would like to change the movie but then it would have made Chris way different than how he is in the book.I think in the book he must have hidden some things about himself.  The war had to have affected him more than he mentions in the book.My idea is that he got to the point where he had to try to block out all the bad stuff during war whenever possible. I would...
 That guy John Du Pont was a zombie! Have you seen him in real life?You should watch the video of the real John Du Pont. I think Steve Carell got it just about perfect.Seems like non-acting, but the guy in real life was just awkward to be around around, talked slow and acted very similar.I was watching him talk about his farm and it almost put me to sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WOqUkJmFQ The movie might bore some people to death. Carell might not win because...
 Biggest improvement for the Q701 with that setup (IMO) would be upgrading the Modi.The Modi is very good, but many DACs $200-$400 might be an upgrade. I actually found a nice improvement for my Q701 going from my Modi to the Headroom Micro DAC (CS4398 chipset). The nice thing about the Modi is that it's not too analytical and slightly forgiving. It's a "fun" sounding DAC and not excessively revealing.I didn't find this out until I tried it with the Beyerdynamic...
Re: American Sniper (gave it a 9/10 earlier) Read the book this weekend and saw the movie a second time. Mostly to verify it's accuracy.It's basically like a overview of 25% of the book, but gave you a very good idea as to what Chris Kyle was like.I'm not convinced he was haunted by his 126 kills as much as they portrayed in the movie.In the book perhaps he wanted to hide how much the war had affected him. Who knows. Makes sense.He was trained to kill terrorists and that's...