Posts by tdockweiler

I finally reversed my stock Q701 back to the modded version a few days ago. I think I might of went 3 to 4 weeks with it stock! Wow..not sure how I managed that after having it modded.   I've been listening to it modded and it almost really does seem like a "night and day" difference. OK, not really, but once you've gone back to stock after using the modded version for months it's much easier to hear the differences. It makes it seem like that!   I know I've mentioned...
I love the sound of the HD-650, but for some reason it always makes me want to go to sleep. Do you ever experience this? When i'm using it for online gaming it does this too.   It must be due to the pads, the comfort and the slightly reduced treble.   This HD-650 somehow manages to sound good for me on almost all desktop amps. The only time it didn't was when the amp was too warm sounding.   Right now i'm testing it with a Headroom Micro DAC (CS4398) to O2. I just...
The Railway Man - 10/10   I'd say this and "Like Father, Like Son" from Japan are my two favorites in the past 6 months.  
Skip the upgrade and spend your money on a nice new DAC or amp! That's what I would do.   Or get something that's a little different sounding just for fun.   I still wonder if i'd like the HE-400...   To me the modded Q701 isn't dramatically different than my HD-650(!).
Final Fantasy XI (Online) - 8/10   Been playing this for years and just reactivated my character after not playing regularly for a long time. It seems this is no longer a "massively multiplayer" online RPG. If you want to level from 1-75 (or until Abyssea levels) you're probably going to be doing it all solo. They used to have a thing called "Fields of Valor" or "Grounds of Valor" but nobody seems to be doing that anymore in a party/alliance.   Right now to level...
 Not if you do the secret firmware hack!
   I would try the Audio Technica ATH-M50 pads. They're about $10 each from Sweetwater. There are some velour pads out there but they get hot and you have less room inside the pads. B&H sells them and they're made for the MDR-V6. M50 pads also give you some nice improvements such as a larger soundstage etc. Of course this could vary for some people. With the DJ100 you do get an impression of a clearer sound and slightly more treble.
 With the O2? Only difference really is that the Q701 sounds very very slightly fuller sounding. A little smoother sounding and maybe not as revealing.Perhaps a little less trebly (than how it normally sounds with the O2) and closer to how it sounds on the Micro Amp and Ifi iCAN (which is very good).Of course the measurements would be identical. I was actually surprised how much the O2 could change it's overall tone with just an opamp. Not like night and day at all...
I've had my bass modded version stock for probably 2 weeks now. It's so much better than modded!! Just kidding! Stock still sounds great and it's not like the mod suddenly makes stock sound like garbage. I could live with either of them. I haven't went back to the modded version yet since I've been way too lazy lately.   I did however listen to the Q701 for about 3-4 hours last night with music while playing games. I've found that I like them a lot more with the O2...
I replaced the op-amps in the O2 a few days ago with the OPA2227. Expected it to sound mostly the same, but I don't think I like it. It actually now sounds too warm, almost muddy sounding with my HD-650 and DJ100. The OPA2134 I seem to love (in my other amps) and I should have went with that. Seems impossible. It's actually hard to believe this is an O2.   I will instead try the LM4652 and see how that goes. OPA627 sounded like a fun experiment, but too much trouble...