or Connect

Posts by tdockweiler

Concussion - 9/10   This one deserves more attention and it was playing in the smallest screen at the theater. On a Saturday night there was only about 8 other people in the theater.   Loved this one and glad I didn't skip it. One other reason why you should never see a movie based on rottentomatoes scores!   Probably one of the best i've seen this year and Will Smith deserves a best actor nomination. It was hard to believe that was Will Smith..   Was very close to...
The Big Short - 9.25/10   Love it mostly except for the terrible camerawork. Reminds me of "The Office" but worse. Too annoying at the start of the movie and so many quick cuts of 10-15 seconds. The first 20 minutes are not good, but it gets better. I also wish they didn't zoom in so close to the person's face when they talk. It doesn't help that I was too close to the screen.   Doesn't really fit into one genre. Sort of a Comedy, Drama or Thriller.   I think I will...
Star Wars - The Force Awakens - 4/10 (no spoilers)   Sorry guys, but I really didn't enjoy this one and found it painful to sit through. I wanted to like it but it wasn't fun or entertaining to me despite nearly non-stop action scenes. Visually it looked good, but I didn't really like any of it's characters. I really did not even care what happened to them. My brain felt like it was on hold the entire movie and felt like I was just bombarded with action sequences. I...
Heart of the Sea - 6/10   Found this pretty dull and boring and wanted to walk out. The last 25% was the best. Overall it's not a good movie and as a survival story it's a failure. Wish I had skipped this.   Visually it's pretty nice looking, but in this case that's not enough for me.
Vacation - 5.5/10 First half hour was just painful. Can't believe someone writing the script thought some parts of it would be funny. The whole thing about Debbie Do-anything and the kid who is always saying the F-word and putting bags over peoples heads to suffocate them. People vomiting is also not funny. I'm sure it could be made funny, but not sure how.. I laughed a few times, but this is definitely not really worth watching. Ed Helms is one of the most un-funny...
Brazil - 3/10First time i've seen this in maybe 15 years. Somehow I only could remember only 2 parts. The funeral and the new office!Didn't like this when I was younger and still don't. Some good ideas, but I found it pretty painful to watch. Took me 3 tries to finish it.I'm not a fan of this director at all.PS I was also very bored and went to see Mockingjay Part 2 a 2nd time (gave it a 8/10).Normally I wouldn't do this, but I wanted to get out of the house and I live...
Mockingjay Part 2 - 8/10   Pay $16 to make yourself depressed! Liked it though, but not all that fun. Let's just say it's much better than the first part and i'll pretend that one doesn't exist.   First half was a little slow and not that interesting. Best was the last 20-30 minutes.   PLEASE don't make more of these books!
Thief - 9/10   An old Michael Mann film from 1981 and starring James Caan. It even has a soundtrack from Tangerine Dream. Would have given it a 9.5/10 if it wasn't for the last 15 minutes. Hard to believe I was only ONE when this came out! Strangely James Caan today doesn't look all that much different these days. I liked him in "ELF" (which is a favorite of mine).   BTW this one reminded me of "Goodfellas". There's not much violence in it until the end when it gets...
 That's why I avoided them. Figured they were just some dumb movies aimed at teens like the Divergent Series, Harry Potter or Maze Runner.This is one reason I was so surprised with "Hunger Games". Expected to hate it. I only got it because it was only $4 on DVD. I also don't like the idea of a movie/story where children are forced to hunt each other down and kill one another. I know it's due to a corrupt government etc, but still...Strangely the 1st movie is not...
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 8.5/10   I saw Hunger Games for the first time and liked it so much that I went out and bought the other two. Biggest surprise for me since I was positive i'd hate it. This one isn't as good, but still entertaining. A few stupid parts and at times I thought I was watching "Jumanji".   Considering the theme of the movies, they sure are sugar-coated. I guess that's why they did so well at the box office. It's really amazing how they...