Posts by tdockweiler

I tried that too with the Q701 and it's a perfect match. It's a little pricey at full retail , but around $200 is a good deal. If I wasn't using my Micro Amp (which is also amazing with the Q701) i'd probably buy the ican or try a Matrix M-Stage. I think the top 3 amps i've heard for the Q701 are the Vali, Micro and ican. It's really too bad Headroom no longer makes amps. I've been loving my Micro ever since getting it back in 2011 or so. I really need to try the M-Stage!...
One guy claims the Asgard 2 and Magni sounds the same, so it HAS to be true. Even more so because he has an A/B switch! Oh and they measure flat. I honestly have no clue how anyone could hear the two as sounding the same. Almost no amps ever sound the same to me. I wish they did. No, there is not like a night and day difference usually. The only time I got a near identical sound was with the Vali and Headroom Micro with the Q701. When switching headphone the results were...
 For the HD-650 (and my DJ100) I found the vali to be a major downgrade. However for the Q701 I felt the Vali was better. Vali might also go well with something like a DT-880/DT-990. I guess you could try the Vali out and get rid of the loser.
The Unknown Known - 5/10   Hated the annoying style of this movie. Barely interesting enough to keep me watching to the end. Rented it for $4 and wish I skipped it. I saw the director's other film "The Fog of War" and that was much better.
 For under $100 I'd definitely suggest the E9/E09k. It plays well with most headphones i've had. It uses the same op-amp as the Matrix M-Stage, Ifi iCan and my Headroom Micro Amp.The Q701 seems to like that op-amp for whatever reason (OPA2134). The Q701 could care less about it's 10ohm output impedance. I actually would suggest it over the O2/Magni for the Q701. I have a hard time suggesting the Vali because chances are in the future you might be trying other headphones....
k501 is very overrated. Not sure who started the hype machine on those. It usually will take a year to find one if you don't use Ebay/Paypal. I finally found one and got rid of it once I got the Q701 and had the K601.   If you want a taste of the K501 sound, the K400 is quite similar. I have two of them now and with my Q701 around they don't get much use. I still like them though. They sound like a poor man's Q701 and lack low bass a LOT. The low bass is worse than even...
 Don't know if this is true or not and hard to say (IMO).When I removed the K712 pads on the K712 and installed NEW Q701 pads it sounded more like a plain K702 and NOT a stock Q701. Note: The K712 doesn't have any outer grill foam.K702 is probably "technically" better and has a better measuring driver perhaps (compared to Q701). The Q701 sounds warmer to me than any K702 and could be due a worse measuring driver along with a combination of the outer grill foam and many...
 I have "Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu" and it's one of my favorite boxed sets. I actually never heard of that director until seeing it available. I meant to also mention Kenji Mizoguchi too. I actually like his movies more than Kobayashi's and he's one of my favorite directors. I think "Sansho The Bailiff" is one of the best movies ever made. I have his latest boxed set called "Against the System" but somehow haven't made it past the first disc. BTW my favorite set from...