Posts by tdockweiler

I read that book and stopped after maybe 50 pages. Glad I eventually finished it and really liked it. If you loved the book don't have the experience ruined by watching the movie!The movie really sucked the life out of the book and some of my favorite parts of the book were totally left out. The movie is way too dreary and kind of depressing. It's like a summary of the book and I wonder if the director read it. He should have focused less on the look of the film and more...
Since i'm bored i'll rank all the AKG's i've heard.   1. Modded Q701 (this and my DJ100+HD-650 are my favorites) 2. Stock Q701 / K712 3. K601 - one of my favorites, but Q701 got more use when it came out. I did keep this for a few years though. 4. K400 EP (this one has a driver that looks identical to a K500! Came with deeper pads than LP) 5. K400 LP (came with brown ringed pads, less deep than others. Recabled with some european wire called "Cordial"(?). I bet 10...
I seriously don't understand why there is not more love for the O2 + HD-650/600. Makes no sense. To me it's a perfect match. I guess it doesn't add anything to how it's normally going to sound. My HD-650 manages to sound great with most neutral amps. The HD-650 actually sounds much better with the O2 than my Q701. I'll someday figure out why the Q701 is only so-so with the O2. Wouldn't imagine it's a lack of power and it's not because I prefer more coloration.   I...
I've had my Headroom Micro Amp for 60 years. It's a little rusty and i've changed some parts on it several times. Mine was hand signed by Tyll himself back in 1967.   BTW it's too bad that Headroom stopped making amps. If mine dies i'll probably never be able to re-create it's exact sound. I guess there's always Ebay. Is there a clone of it's sound? I haven't heard it yet.   I paid $330 for mine and feel it's worth $500.   Seriously though this amp is never going...
 It's quite possible I guess. Not saying you're wrong. Is yours a very early Magni? Mine was.I think I got it on day 1 of it's release. I kept it for maybe a year and ended up swapping it for an O2.Maybe there was slight tweaks to it's sound. Prefer the O2 overall, but think the Modi is better than the ODAC (nearly identical there IMO). I'm quite fond of the Modi+O2 combo  I just need to find the perfect Schiit amp for both my DJ100, HD-650 and Q701. This has been a real...
 I tried that too with the Q701 and it's a perfect match. It's a little pricey at full retail , but around $200 is a good deal. If I wasn't using my Micro Amp (which is also amazing with the Q701) i'd probably buy the ican or try a Matrix M-Stage. I think the top 3 amps i've heard for the Q701 are the Vali, Micro and ican. It's really too bad Headroom no longer makes amps. I've been loving my Micro ever since getting it back in 2011 or so. I really need to try the M-Stage!...
One guy claims the Asgard 2 and Magni sounds the same, so it HAS to be true. Even more so because he has an A/B switch! Oh and they measure flat. I honestly have no clue how anyone could hear the two as sounding the same. Almost no amps ever sound the same to me. I wish they did. No, there is not like a night and day difference usually. The only time I got a near identical sound was with the Vali and Headroom Micro with the Q701. When switching headphone the results were...
 For the HD-650 (and my DJ100) I found the vali to be a major downgrade. However for the Q701 I felt the Vali was better. Vali might also go well with something like a DT-880/DT-990. I guess you could try the Vali out and get rid of the loser.
The Unknown Known - 5/10   Hated the annoying style of this movie. Barely interesting enough to keep me watching to the end. Rented it for $4 and wish I skipped it. I saw the director's other film "The Fog of War" and that was much better.