Posts by tdockweiler

Fallout New Vegas - 7/10   Playing this over after having not played it for maybe 2 years. Find it incredibly dull and just no fun to play at all. Enemy encounters are almost non-existent. Right now i'm in vegas and have to go pay Benny a visit and I must have only gotten to level 7. I previously played the game and got up to 100 hours in it maybe. I'm wondering how on earth I did that!   Scavenging for good loot is just no fun. There really is not any good stuff...
For me it's the Headroom Micro Amp + Micro DAC. The amp part needs the Astrodyne power supply to be at it's best. It's the only amp i've had that in 4 years has been equally good with everything. We're talking about maybe a dozen or more headphones.   I tried to find an amp that's equally as transparent and the only thing that came close is the Ifi Can. It wasn't the O2, but that gets very close for the cheap price.   Basically when you connect something up to the...
Dumb and Dumber To - 3/10?   I kept going back and forth if I should rent this or not. It's not on Redbox yet and you have to pay those greedy studios $5 just to rent it. It's like robbery. I kept thinking that it looked like the first one so how bad could it possibly be. I told myself I had a hard day and needed to laugh. Felt like I need to watch a comedy. Don't do this!   Well, it's possibly the most unfunny movie i've seen in my life. I think I laughed a few times...
 South Korean film right? If you can, try to watch the Japanese film about Isoroku Yamamoto. It's also called "The Admiral".A really underrated movie but unfortunately is a bit hard to find. It got a release in the UK but not the USA (so far). It's actually pretty historically accurate and makes a good movie to watch along with "Tora, Tora, Tora". It's not an action film though and the pearl harbor attack only lasts a few seconds in the movie. The mission behind shooting...
 I was thinking maybe some of the films of Aki Kaurismaki. Of course i've only seen two of his movies. "Man without a past" was good, but "Shadows in Paradise" not so much... BTW has anyone seen "Schultze Gets the Blues"? That's been stuck in my brain for the last 10 years. It's one of those you really need to finish to appreciate. Many won't be able to sit through it. Slowest moving films i've ever seen are from Tsai Ming-liang or Hou Hsiao-Hsien. "Flowers of Shanghai"...
 Strange. Loved Hundred Foot Journey and even took my mom to see it and she liked it too. It's basically a good popcorn movie and nothing too deep, but I really enjoyed every minute of it. Grand Budapest Hotel bored me to tears. Characters are very dull and feels like i'm just watching a movie for it's nice set designs and that's it. Brain was on hold the whole time since none of the characters felt realistic. Cardboard characters as they say.Somehow I liked "Moonrise...
I watched a bunch of Keisuko Kinosh_ta (head-fi censors that!)  movies this past week on Hulu Plus. I previously only saw "Twenty Four Eyes" which was excessively melodramatic and I didn't like it much. Glad I gave his movies another chance! BTW I bought a Hulu Plus account for the TV show "Doc Martin" but it has a ton of good old B&W Japanese films! No commercials at all for the movies so far. Most of them are from Criterion.   Big Joys, Small Sorrows (1986) -...
 They have a live action version of this now too. Not sure if it's any good. Japan only release I believe.
 You should try to find a region free DVD player and import them. Many players can be "hacked" using button presses on the remote.I use an Oppo DVD player that can play PAL format discs and any region. I think most of the Kurosawa stuff can be imported from Hong Kong on legal discs for dirt cheap. HK often releases cheaper versions of Japanese movies. For example there are a ton of Yasujiro Ozu movies that got a HK release. For some reason DVDs in the UK are cheaper than...
Fury not realistic? Than what is? To me it's one of the more realistic WWII movies Hollywood has given us. Ok, all except for that gung-ho last scene non-sense. That's where they nearly ruined it. Stuff like "Saving Private Ryan"  is a joke when it comes to realism, except maybe the very first scene. At least they were able to make it entertaining. "Fury" really was no fun to watch and a chore to sit through. Doesn't mean it's bad.   I was thinking if you wanted a...