Posts by deadlylover

Or maybe I'm an alcoholic beverage enthusiast.
 I'm jelly that you can try so many different beers, the selection here in Australia in tiiiny. Hmmm I'm not really a big fan of fancy cocktails. Perhaps you should try a gin and tonic (Bombay Sapphire + Schweppes tonic water), it's my go-to drink for when I don't feel like whiskey. I had an incredible gin and tonic in Japan (Bar Hermit in Shinjuku), it's a shame I didn't pay attention to the bartender while he was making it. It was so good I had to order another.  
 You guys need reasons?  
 Niceuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Yep, one's knowledge in electronics is directly proportional to how much junk and failed projects you've tossed in the bin.
 That larger clear 'heatshrink' is just a normal plastic tube you're supposed to slide over the soldered connections to keep it all insulated from each other. Amphenol make some of the best stuff in the business, you're just a big, big dum dum.  I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but you are looking for a 0 kOhm or 0 in the diode test for a result. 0 means a short circuit, hence a direct connection between the tested pin on the jack and the wire leading to the...
 Excellent, vodka will help with trembling hands. If it's not clear, drink it, don't put it on the solder joint or anything =P.
 Have you soldered on a new jack before? (I hope you ordered 2)  Tin the part the wire will connect to, tin the wire, then bring it together while doing your best to heat the jack and the wire, a little flux is helpful if you have any. Don't be afraid to heat the bajeezus out of the jack first before bringing the tinned wire in. (and by bajeezus I mean getting the solder molten first on the jack before bringing the wire in, there's not much to damage but if you super...
 Looks like you have things under control. That picture makes it a bit more clear showing 2 wires going to the shell, looks like the wire that was loose was the left positive signal then? (the slight mis-focus is mildly infuriating =P) Kudos to your large cojones for murdering the old plug even though you aren't an experienced DIYer.  Ugh those angled plugs are the worst, do manufacturers not realise that it's complete crap when you use it on a mobile device in your pocket...
 Nice. I can't really tell from the photo, but I'm assuming it was connected to that big blob of solder on the left? I think that might be the ground connection for the left driver. The fluffy hairy stuff in the wire is for strain relief and flexibility, you should be able to see a few copper strands within it. They may have broken off though so you'll have to strip the wire a couple of millimeters to expose new copper strands. Obviously with such large solder blobs, there...
 Yup, try cutting it up first, it's gonna be tedious... If there are 4 wires going into the plug, we are only concerned about the 2 colours that connect to the same point, because those would be the ground returns.