Posts by jupitreas

I've always understood the term 'reference' to mean the same thing as 'monitor' but with the implication that the headphone is of very high quality (ie. a high-end monitor). 
They use the exact same drivers as the KSC75 so they sound pretty much just like them but a bit more open. Their weakness is in the enclosure as it is a cheap plastic that provides a fair amount of nasty ringing. I played around with my UR40 to dampen the enclosure (the plastic bits, I removed the foam from the grill) and things became a little better but not perfect. In the end, I found that the best way to make them sound good is by transplanting the drivers into a...
They look like a cheap pair of Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 but naturally, that does not say anything about how they might sound. 
 While they have different drivers, if we look at frequency response charts of the Amperior and the standard HD25, it is clear that they sound nearly identical. In other words, the 18ohm drivers are tuned to sound like the standard 70ohm drivers.  Based on your comparison, the Alu and the Amperior sound different but you did not try to swap pads between them and I am still wondering what the Amperior would sound like with the Alu pads. It is possible that they would...
You could also try some pad rolling. I believe the pleather pads are less sibilant than the velour ones. There are also many after-market pads that you could try. I also believe the superbly comfortable pads from the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 fit the HD25, so that might be worth a try (I never tried this though).    I use an Amperior, and I did some pad rolling with this headphone. What I found out is that when I used legacy HD25 pads, the Amperior became super-sibilant...
I found that the KRK KNS 8400 has a very good soundstage for a closed headphone but it is one of those... strange soundstages. It is difficult to explain but appreciating the 8400 seems to depend on being able to 'forget' that you are listening to a headphone and just visualizing that the sound is coming from outside. Somehow, the imaging seems to improve when this happens and I think I get KRK's philosophy behind this. With this said, I personally sold my 8400 due to its...
 Thanks! I'm looking forward to your findings.
There are many views on this... Some (myself included) strive for neutrality in audio gear, while others like for a headphone to be colored in a certain way that is pleasing to them. The basic fact of the matter is that a neutral headphone will be more versatile as it can work decently with any genre and can usually be EQed without many issues. On the other hand, certain colored headphones are known to sound extremely good with certain genres and for fans of those genres,...
Mine don't have any such issues, so not all Amperiors are like that....
It won't hurt your headphone but it might hurt your ears if you listen too loud :)