or Connect

Posts by whitedragem

Alright I am going to try and 'chill' a bit with regards to frequently writing up my Note experience... Just like to offer some updated listening reports; Beth Orton "Stolen Car", this track is one of the best renditions I have heard since purchasing the album 15 years ago. Afro Celt Sound System (album 2, track 1); it is the subtleties in the drum and the feel of the skin that reveals, whilst a lot of other stuff is going on, this 'Phone' is churning out pure...
Note 7 Exynos European (volume limited) with Lucky DAC Wow! This phone rocks; Rock. Not a strong area for digital playback chains.. Just had A Perfect Circle album play through and I have to say everything I throw at this player is brilliant. Have had two issues, An 'Afro Celt Sound System' track seemed a little compressed in sound stage and musicality (but to be fair, I believe I have lost all my 'masters' of this music, and it likely is a compressed file...), and an...
Alright the Note 7 is out (has been for a bit in some world circles), or is about to be out,.. and whilst there was a thread with a few posts discussing it 'coming out'... clearly a dedicated webpage like headfi will 'wind up with'; forum commentators arguing and discussing the worth and/or validity of using this phone as a Transport, or as a Dedicated Source. The only reason I take a moment to reintroduce this topic; the 'Note 7 for audio playback'; is that it would...
Volume on European variant; Adapt Sound, when calibrating, raises the equaliser channels, and then culls the ones 'out of whack' the most. It might work differently to this, as, having calibrated many hifi surround systems, sometimes we have to change the control point on the main two channels to allow proper scope/range for surround channels to mix/match well. It is possible that Adapt Sound adjusts it settings based towards an ideal that may render it quieter when in...
Nice trial and error there... I get, being a different, outboard DAC design (ignoring the DAC internal of the Snapdragon 820), a few things are unlikely to work as standard settings, and will likely need run with a similar config as the S7/Edge variants using the same Aqstic chip setup... Anyhow, a full further day of 70/30 enjoyment/critical listening,.. this phone is excellent for audio playback. (Lucky/Exynos variant),.. the volume has what I need it to do.. Adapt...
Nice one (getting Viper to work!!),.. impressed you've got it 'open' and with KNOx intact! I would believe the Snapdragon using offboard DAC / 'AQUSTIC DAC' should be the better part. From tear downs that compare the two, it is hard to tell... the size of the Lucky DAC is huge, but the AQUSTIC is comprised of two modules, one would be for effects? It might just offer better pure audio. To be fair, from the screenshots I saw of these chips, I did rather like the layout...
Alrighty then.... Note 7 User; had for one week. Exynos variant with the 'co-developed' cirrus logic/wolfson DAC (Lucky DAC). Needed to put the equipment on a burn in mode. Straight out of the box (two days of usage), the sound on headphones had very clear throw to the extreme left and right, but placed most sounds very central with not a lot of space around them (yet gave individual components of the sound 'space'); this gave me a certain 'hope' for what this chip was...
Problem with 'blind test' and 'consistently' is to do more so with the equipment and listening environment.     I am into audio and have the good fortune to have a system which reveals the differences. It would be in the top 1-2% of stereos around the globe. When friends who previously were adamant that the difference was nil, listen to said files on this system, they nearly drop their jaw in the first few seconds. It is night and day obvious. Certain genres have...
Dood (Bigshot) you missed pressing the little button marked PM. Bigshot; if you PM me, it frees up the timeframe in terms of when I can reply. By having the freedom to wait till my little one is asleep, or possibly at school, and giving myself the time to fire up a laptop with an actual keyboard (otherwise my posts are done from a little winphone, which has a poor web browser experience for this site, no store applet to make browsing/viewing this site easier, and a really...
Aural cues is what it is all about. They are what allow a two channel setup to simulate surround audio, I believe we are now going a little of topic to the realm of head related transfer functions, HRTFs.     I used to love my A3D 2.0 soundcard (PC) for what it did to headphone sound. It was based on technology built for the US airforce so they could simulate the sounds of helicopters in a real world environment. The echos of their sound along a valley, and to occlude...