Posts by ahilal

So it turns out my coworker heard me talking about wanting an amp and built me one! Always cool to have a unique DIY job, and he said I should just take him out to lunch in return. Nice resolution!  
Ouch - all those masonry facades just got shrugged right off. Can you imagine if you were walking in or out of one of those doorways when all those bricks hit the pavement?   I'm writing from San Francisco, where there are a lot of old buildings with similar facades. They're all reinforced / bolted on though, according to local law.     Glad you are ok. Hope regulations there catch up with reality soon.
Look into Thailand. Close friends of mine have been teaching there for years. They started out where you are: basic language instruction, but are now full time teachers in a private school that has made English a chosen first language. They say that teachers are basically professional class there, very looked up to and paid a decent wage. Living costs are very low. People are nice, especially the kids they teach. 
I had the same thought, and I guess it's true that we can't make any assumptions about what form life could take elsewhere. Even on Earth there are some lifeforms that thrive in extreme circumstances. Bacteria that can live at the mouth of undersea geothermal vents, cockroaches that breed in steelmills, who knows what else that we haven't even discovered yet.    But we do know a few things about Earth's circumstances that seem to be very conducive to life: namely the...
Planets are small and dark and it was not until pretty recently that we were able to see them outside our own solar system.    One way of looking for them out there is to look for their gravitational pull on other objects we can see. The presence of a planet's mass can cause a nearby star to "wobble" in its regular orbit, and that's somethning we can see more easily.      Another way is to zoom way in on a star and look for dark objects crossing in front of it....
It's still a great game! I never got into the SC2 beta so I spent a lot of the last 6 months playing SC1 to brush up on my skills. It was very good practice, I find. Things have changed but strategically and tactically many of the same concepts apply.   Yes! I have watched a ton of HDstarcraft's game casts and they're awesome. Some folks think it's weird to watch a recording of other people playing a video game, but when you watch extremely skilled players with a good...
I completely agree. This is my big complaint about the campaign right now. I want a challenge, but putting me on a rushed countdown isn't my idea of a good challenge. And you're right - the missions really are scripted. I'm thinking about the first mission on Char where you need to retrieve units that are landing in dropships. They drop at precise times and you have to run around dealing with them as they drop in their prescribed order. It's deliberately designed to mess...
Probably would like to plug into the wall, yeah. Just to keep down the battery costs and waste.
Thanks. Those Turtle Beach headphones look nice. A little more than I was hoping to spend, perhaps. The cord would also have to be really long to reach from the machine to where I sit. I guess I forgot to mention that. I run the signal through a long miniplug extension cable, around the room to the sofa.   I'm not much good with a soldering iron, though I'm sure the Altoids Cmoy is a fun project. Too many other projects backed up on my list!    Any suggestions...
Hola Head-Fi'ers!    Question from a pretty green newb here. I need a way to amplify the audio that comes out of my Xbox 360 so I can listen to it with headphones. The signal is very weak when I plug the headphones in directly, I believe because it's an unamplified signal. Right now I have it going into a console amplifier, and from there to headphones. I'd like to get the big console amp out of the room completely. So I guess I need a headphone amp. But I've never...