Posts by frenchbat

Thanks for the additional answer Eddy. I'm beginning to wonder whether the electrical damping that seems necessary with magnepans speakers might not be with our orthos. Different construction perhaps ?
Thanks MacieKN and Steve for chiming in.   The reasoning behind K. Gilmore point of view is that the lack of mechanical load in the orthodymanic drivers, contrary to dynamic drivers, would lead to a potential lack of control. The analogy that's often used is that dynamic drivers have their own "brake" built-in, as the magnet makes resistance. The orthodynamic drivers, being built differently and without a driving magnet attached to the ribbon, would then need to be...
Thanks to both of you for the answers.   @JadeEast I did exactly that, but I didn't get much additional info, especially with "isodynamic". "Orthodynamic" basically points towards headphone boards and especially head-fi, while "planar magnetic" points towards speakers boards. I guess I'll have to go through the patent applications, and see if I can get anything from there.   @Gurubhai Thanks for pointing that out, that's an interesting point from Yamaha. I...
We also had that amp at hand during the meet. To me they are very close, but I'll let Shigzeo give his own opinion.   Size wize, it's a different planet, mainly because the battery of the AHA120 is many times bigger than the Vorzüge's one. Remember the AHA120 can run anywhere between 40hrs and 60hrs on battery. The output of the AHA is also very quiet, even for an IEM.
Hi everyone,   Lately I've been researching on electrical damping factor, and especially the effects a high impedance output could have on planar magnetic drivers. It has been well known for a long time that electrical damping can have an influence on the frequency response of drivers, as clearly exposed in the article reproduced here, which dates back to 1954 : http://www.paulspeltz.com/tomcik/index.html   Obviously this is a concept that a lot of people...
I think Shigzeo described pretty well the amp in his review. I'll just add that I had a very hard time distinguishing the Pure from a RSA SR71B during the meet. Good little amp, albeit a bit pricey.
I see I've been called. Well, first thanks Dimitri and Shigzeo for suggesting me to try this. That was an interesting experience, especially after the portaphile. Soundwise, I'd need to test with my own tracks of course, but I have to say that I like the clarity of the sound. Everything seemed under control, eventhough that's not such a big deal with IEMs. I didn't get the same feeling as Shigzeo about the low pass filter, but again I only had a quick listen, and with...
True Shigzeo, but I doubt the Ibasso has the same distortion numbers.   Besides, try to run the same headphones from both amps, and you might not get the same results. The O2 can run almost everything, independently from electrical specifications. Some even use it with a HE500 ...
The problems you're describing with the H500 might be linked to how they fit on your head. Since they don't fit as well as they should, it's likely you don't get the best out of them. Have you tried to bend the headband a bit ? For some people, it helps.
Welcome to Head-Fi ! Sorry for your wallet