Posts by sluker

Sunday Bump
I would love to hear what you think of the Code-X. I used to own the HE5-LE and I though it was a capable headphone which had a lot of potential if modded. However, I only started modding headphones after I sold it. The HE-6 is still my favorite headphone and I am enjoying it much more since I got the Hifi-m8 and the sony HAP-S1 although neither of them compare to the sx-1250 but that is busy in the living room driving speakers so not something I can use everyday with the...
Totally agree that everything I said is IMO. While I have not heard the HE-500, I do own the HE-6 and the LCD-2 (rev1) and used to own the the HE-5LE. I have heard all of them out of the 339 and the sx-1250 (1976 pioneer TOTL receiver with 125w/ch and a straight wire from speaker taps to HO).   From everything I have read I do not think the HE-500 requires quite near the power to drive to their best level that the HE-6 does and neither does the LCD-2. I am not talking...
I have the 339 with upgraded tubes and it definitely does not drive the HE-6. I can't imagine any tube combo will do the HE-6 justice, it's just a matter of watts, it can not produce enough of them. However, it is quite good with the LCD-2 (and I have heard them at their best with my sx-1250). In fact I find I almost exclusively listen to the LCD-2 with the 339 although they are more "open" with the sx-1250, the midrange is liquid smooth.  
I am running them off of both the taps (yes banana) and the HP out. While they do sound more authoritative out of the taps there is a slight noise floor which is not audible while music is playing (even in the quiet parts) but is there when you pause a song. I actually prefer the LCD-2 from the HP out, while it is not as good as the SX-1250, I have yet to hear anything else that is.  As a reference I have an LF339 with Sylvania 7236's and RCA red tops which is only used...
At risk of sounding like a fan boy, I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a Sony product quite this much since I got my first walkman (and I mean the tape kind). The fact that I should have been in bed an hour ago and I am still listening (to the "Exterme" playlist on the SenseMe categories) pretty much says it all.  While with the LCD-2 it does not quite compare to the HP out of my restored, pristine, SX-1250 sample, it does hold it's own from the speaker taps, which...
Yes, But the HAP-S1 has both optical and coax inputs and you can get a USB to optical or USB to coax cable so that you can use the HAP-S1 as a DAC.  That is what I am doing.
Good read. Thanks
Price lowered to $600 and I will throw in a cable.