Posts by sluker

If by socket you mean the connectors, then no it is relatively easy. Just be careful and snip the wires before you unscrew it from the headphone or else you will will pull them off of the drivers which could potentially damage the driver. The wire leads soldered to the driver are solid core so they are quite stiff and brittle, treat them with care and you can solder your wires to them. Otherwise you will need to disassemble the driver from the cup to to get access to the...
I hardwired mine to mini xlr
I agree as far as sources go the M8 is probably the second best DAC I have owned and the best portable DAC (it's ahead of the original Cypher Labs Solo, the HM 603 as well as the Harmon Kardon HD990 CD player/DAC). And it's almost on par with my new Sony HAP-S1 (plus it's headphone amp is better than the Sony). Playing around with the ohm settings on the Magnum's I notice a slight smoothing out when the setting is all the way to the left ( but we are talking very slight...
I can confirm that my (Grado) Magnum builds sound good with the M8, if that is worth anything. In particular I like it with the v3.5 drivers because I can boost the bass. The biggest difference with other amp/dac combos (Hifiman 603 and the RSA shadow/ipod nano) is that the soundstage opens up a tad  and gets more depth. But in my experience the Grado's I have owned in the past (125 and HF-2) or the Magnums I have built (8 pairs) didn't really benefit too much from...
I have used my HAP-S1 with the LCD-2 rev 1 and with the HE-6. The HO is a bit under powered to get the best from the LCD-2 and nowhere near the HE-6. But from the speaker out (with taps) even the HE-6 sounds better than most desktop rigs I have heard. So assuming the UDA has the same characteristics as the S1 but half the power from the speaker outs I would guess that it would play nice with the LCD-3's. However I have found that the LCD-2's are fussy about synergy with...
The man is back. How are things going with the amp Mr. Eddy? How many watts will it do into 60 ohms? Will it be a contender for the HE-6?
I hear that. But I do like bass presence when I listen to speakers (which my HPM-100 have in abundance). I have yet to hear that form an HD-800 even when well amplified. Where as the HE-6 (and the LDC-2 rev1) get much closer when given gobs of power.
"That's really not a good statement about hifiman. I'm pretty sure Sennheiser wouldn't have such variance."   Yeah, but finding an amp that makes them sound "good" (not loud) is much harder. Having said that I do want a set of HD-800 eventually.
Well here is another reason to direct wire them. Although I like the convenience of swapping cables. I wonder what Steve Eddy will charge for direct wire on my Q cable.  Thanks now I am always going to have that in the back of my mind. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But on that note I will now need to try them with speaker outs on my new Sony HAP-S1, 40 watts/ch should sound pretty good.
Do I risk blowing them up if I wire tap the SX-1250? I haven't tried that since re-cabling them.