Posts by TheGame21x

Degradation (at least audible degradation) probably won't happen on the first go. It's only after repeated conversions that quality audibly degrades.   And of course this is dependent on the type of conversion, eg. 320kbps MP3 to 128kbps and then back up and whatnot.
No kidding. I got mine (open box return) for $240.  Second best value I've gotten on headphones since the $220 HD 600s I scored a couple years back.
I use the HE-400 with an O2 and it's an excellent pairing.
I'm more interested in the measured DAC performance, tbh. I've got an overabundance of quality amps, but no real stand out DAC other than the ODAC built in to the O2 chassis (which means it can't output to another amp). I'm tempted to just get another ODAC or a Modi to fill my DAC needs but an all in one solution for under $100 with a nice preamp and a powerful amp on its own is one heck of a value proposition.
To me, the DT-990 seems like the HE-400's younger brother. They have similar bass and treble emphasis and slightly recessed mids. Ever since getting the HE-400, its been relegated to gaming duty because it's a stellar performer in that regard (and that's kinda what I bought them for) but it's an impressive music set too that would be my go to "fun" can because of that big bottom end had I not gotten the 400s.
I am far from an expert on the subject but as I understand it, the rule of thumb is that output impedance should be no more than 1/8th of the headphone impedance and ideally zero. So in the case of the 10 ohm output impedance of the Fiio E09K, you'd want to use a headphone with a minimum of 80 ohm impedance, otherwise the output will cause impedance swings that can alter the sound signature of the headphones plugged into it.
If it's based on the same headphone out circuit as the Fiio E09K (which i think it is, at least in terms of what chips Monoprice used) it'll be somewhere around 10 ohms.
I almost succumbed to gadgetitis last night, but was eventually able to talk myself down. I'd like to see some measurements on it though, since we know it's not just an E09K with a built in DAC in monoprice trimmings. If I used speakers at my desk, I might have gone ahead and took the plunge.
I'll throw my hat into the ring.   I have a number of reviews published here on Head-Fi, which can all be viewed here (http://www.head-fi.org/users/146058/reviews)   And I have my own site called Musical Musings, which can be seen here (http://musicalmusings.themindofgame.com), on which I've reviewed literally dozens of headphones and earphones from a large number of manufacturers including HiFiMan, Audio-Technica, MEElectronics, Ultimate Ears and Sennheiser.   Here...
Crap, now I'm even more intrigued.