or Connect

Posts by shabta

I can certainly understand why someone would prefer the classic over the S for classical. But I most definitely go the other way. Instrumental timbre on the S, sounds more like the real thing to me. For example. piano sounds more like the steinway baby grand that sits in my living room with the S than with the classic. Violins tend to be more realistically slightly less strident. It is a small difference, but meaningful nonetheless. But I am talking about the two...
Here's a mainstream review, The Verge, that raves about the HD800. Only thing I found surprising is that while the sound gets 10/10 comfort gets 8/10. WTF is more comfortable than a pair of HD800/S...
Short answer: Be happy and content with the S. I wouldn't say there is any loss of soundstaging. No one mentioned hearing the Bass distortion until after Tyll published his measurements. But you will hear it if you like to EQ the bass up 3 db or more. My guess is that the slightly better instrument separation on the classic that is SOMETIMES heard, is due to the very slight bass distortion of the S. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a real instrument separation...
I have yet to hear an HD800 w/o mods that sounds as good as the S , no matter how it was EQ'd. In my experience, which is extensive enough, what someone is looking for in a pro setup designed for monitoring and mixing is very different then what the same professional person is looking for in a home hifi setup. Generally, monitors and headphones used for mixing or monitoring will often have certain frequencies exaggerated for the type of application. So, for example, most...
Yeah sure. Except why bother, I have an amp that pairs really well with the HD800 S and so I don't care that the HD650 sounds better on  Magni/Mod than the S on the same. You don't need a end game amp DAC for the S to sound waaaaaay better than the HD650 on any music you want to play.
I sold my HD650. Even with poorly recorded material I preferred the HD800. The S is even better in general.
The point is that anyone can read the review. Yet here, people seem to be selectively and somewhat misleadingly using quotes to emphasize points  instead of just basing it on personal experience.  So for example, it is true that Tyll likes a EQ'd, HD800 better than the S. I don't like as much bass as Tyll and so most of his logic is meaningless for me. But for me the kicker is that he also makes the point that he wants to be able to EQ differently for different kinds of...
Glad you found my review helpful. I do think that the SR009 improves, but it sounds pretty close to its best even with the 717 amp you list. The SR007 on the other hand sounds really much better on a better amp.  I recently listened to some stax and agree that the Stax sound less grainy, its a feature of the design, frankly. It didn't directly AB, but for the first time, my nagging stax lust has abated since getting the S. See how long that lasts LOL. 
 Congrats! How do you you like it compared to your Staxen cans?
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. It's true that there are Heifetz and Kempf recordings which were really well recorded and lots that weren't... In any case it doesn't contradict that many historically significant performances will sound better on the S. SO if I changed what I said to SOME heifetz and kempf then we are good?