or Connect

Posts by shabta

Here's a vote for the Icon. You will need to upgrade the tubes, but in return you get effortless highs and bass slam. I haven't heard the crack with speedball but the Icon is definitely better than Valhalla or Crack alone. The only caveat is that in the US the Icon costs  more than in europe. 
I can't measure based on bang for buck. But I liked the presentation of the Icon with the HD800 a little better than the crack, didn't hear a speedball though. I especially like the fullness of the bass with icon and the smooth highs. It has a classic SET sound.  I have the newer one with upgraded tubes (2 EH goldpin and JJ gold) and like to turn the selector knob to the highest impedance setting. It seems the Icon is cheaper in europe (or it was when I bought it at about...
Good point.
Yes, it should be ok. Of course, there are better (and more expensive options). The HP50 doesn't change very much with amplification. Mostly it gets slightly warmer, probably due to a fuller bass sound. You could say that what people like about this headphone (warmish, slightly bottom tilted sound) becomes more so when you amp it. Actually pays off to pay more attention to the DAC. However, there seems to be an upper limit, these headphones are definitely not detail...
And buy used so you get more for your money 
Perhaps this is true with some of the mass market headphones, like beats etc. But that is not case with Audeze, Senns, Stax, hifiman, etc. Especially for the highest end ones, they are measured before sale to make sure they fall within certain desired parameters. But they all do a combination of critical listening and measurable metrics to develop the sound of their headphones. Even Paul Barton says that the Harmon curve was only a guide and that they also did some...
Well they are wrong. It my algorithm that is far superior 
Where did I say that measurements are either inaccurate or that I ignore them? If it makes you feel better I will say this: the ear cup resonance issues in the HD800 are such that there is a small spike at certain treble frequencies. Yet, the HD800 sounds much closer to the accurate reproduction of acoustic instruments than nearly any other headphone. The reason people state the conditions, music and gear used to form an opinion is that it helps others to calibrate the...
You were making some point about using the TOTL PSB speakers as a reference and that meant something important about the sound of the HP50. I responded that the HP50 sounded much less good than the TOTL PSB. Generally speaking it is possible to find HP that sound better than particular sets of speakers. And headphones generally image much better than speakers, although it is due to the unnatural stereo separation. Why do think that PB speaker experience means defacto he...
I am saying that speakers in a room do not sound the same as a steinway baby grand in a room with or without cello, flutes etc. Flutes in particular. In any case, the HP50s don't sound anywhere near as good as Barton's TOTL speakers (not even close) or any number of other headphones. They sound really good for closed backed, 300 USD headphones. I am curious, what amp/dac pairings and for how long did you listen and on what kind of music when you tested the HD800?