Posts by shabta

I agree that we should not dismiss objective data. But,  looking at objective data before you listen to a headphone and then making the claim that you are positive that you have never heard a headphone that contradicts the objective data, while not a false statement, is completely against the very logic that says we should accept objective data. I can imagine experiments we could try to determine whether or not an experience of listening to a headphone always agrees with...
No doubt. But if the inverse is true, using the same logic... It is necessary to be able to think logically I suppose, but I am pretty sure that is within most headfiers capacity. 
Sure. Then we agree that if you look at a frequency graph before you hear a headphone, it will affect how you hear the phone. Maybe that is why Tyll seems to do some critical listening before he measures the headphone.  I think you misunderstand why most kids like bass. It has to do with the rise of HipHop/Rap as the major influence on pop music. And of course after the success of Beats, they started mixing music to sound good on those headphones. Just like how some hit...
+1 But the HP50s just don't come close to most of the TOTL headphones or many decent speaker rigs. But for the money, the sound is good.
That isn't the same as saying you know what a headphone will sound like from reading a graph.  BTW do you read the graph before or after you listen to a headphone? There is a lot of confirmation bias problems if you read a graph and then listen to the headphone...While I love the sound of the HP50s, the headphone is definitely tilted toward the bass. And trying to say because you listened to some speakers (which ones, in what kind of room? Through what kind of source/amp?...
Yes they will be a significant upgrade and will pair with your gear nicely...
+1+1+1  The build quality, comfort and noise cancelling are no brainer obviously better on the QC25s over the QC15s. Personally, I found the "tuning" of the QC25s much better as well. I wouldn't say night and day difference but definitely the edge goes to the QC25s. I guess that is the one area where I would concede YMMV. I sold the QC15s in a heartbeat... BTW I am the dork who forgets an extra pair of batteries so that works for me as well 
I don't think that the HD800s, properly driven, are not smooth, quite the opposite.The NADs while sounding quite good, have a much more relaxed approach, but that comes at the expense of the detail and fast transient decay that you find on better headphones. If you listen to the HD800s with a well recorded piece of music on a decent rig, you will instantly understand what I am talking about. If you can get the NADs at that price go for it. They will fit your requirements...
 As I recall, but my memory isn't so good, Purrin and friends didn't blind test and spoke to each other about what they heard during the test or before they made conclusions. Where as we didn't see which headphone was placed on our head nor discuss with each other whether we heard differences or not...But aside from whether there are ever audible differences, I agree with what you wrote above.
Um that is almost what we did. Just not 5-10 pairs. Anyway, I have a feeling that what ever I say or do you will have some snappy retort. Maybe what you are saying about phones from very different years is true. I hadn't really thought about that, but that wouldn't have made a difference in our case. But, it certainly would be better if the manufacturer would be more transparent about measurements.