Posts by Ridleyguy

music_4321, I have spent the evening going through a good part of my classical music collection with the FI-BA-SS, using them with my main amp and DAC, and I have to say, that even the live Richter concerts at Carnegie Hall, which were very poorly recorded, sounded acceptable, and most everything else, sounded incredible. For example, I have never heard the Martha Argerich concerto recordings sound so good. Your very positive comments about the FI-BA-SS made me go back...
I haven't spent a lot of time with the HD800, but auditioned it at CanJam in Chicago a few years ago. As I had owned Magneplanar speakers in the past, I was leaning toward buying the LCD-2 v.1 at the time, which I also auditioned there on the Cavalli amp. prototype. My wallet is hoping that you don't get me thinking about getting an HD800 again.
And I wouldn't say you are wrong. But if you mainly listen to Classical from the 60's on like I do, the PFs are a lot less fussy about what is upstream from them, and the SQ of the recording, and they are without peer in presenting the live ambiance of a concert hall of presentation, IMO. Technically , they may not be superior to the 160xs, but their musicality is unsurpassed, IMO. For classical music lovers, I would put these right up their with the best full sized...
Thanks for your kind words cooperpwc, and also for clarifying the iPod Classic's sound signature. To your point on the FI-BA-SS, I don't like it at all out of an iPod for most of my music, and currently only use it with my home setup. This presents some challenges for me with its relatively short cable compared with full sized headphones. I am hoping that a good portable setup will work with it. It's interesting your comment on mood, because I don't think you could...
A few early impressions of the Heaven IV out of an iPod Classic. The Heaven IV's presentation is very intimate/up close out of the iPod, and the sound signature is on the bright side of neutral to my ears. I believe the 160 GB iPod Classic is known to have a warm sound signature, so assuming this is true, you may want to factor this in choosing a source. The IV's can go deep into the music for details and nuances, such as being able to capture the texture of bowing on a...
It would be helpful to know what people are using upstream of their headphones in order to make meaningful comparisons. Comparisons with an iPod or other comparable DAP as the source are fine, IMO, as that is how a lot of people will be using them, but I think this needs to be stated. Clearly some FAD models scale significantly with a high quality setup; the FI-BA-SS being one of them.
It is also available as both as an uncompressed Flac download and a 320 Mbps MP3 on the DG US website.
Dear music _4321 Based on the fact that you have stated previously in this thread (I believe), that the PF IXs are one of, if not your favorite headphones, I am assuming that you were being facetious. Very funny though!
I was going to suggest Faure's Requiem on the Deutsche Grammophon label with Kathleen Battle, but I am open to other suggestions for those who don't particularly like classical. It is available on Amazon as both CD and MP3.Another option would be to select something from HD Tracks which can be downloaded in Hi Rez. A good Jazz recording would be of interest to me.
An interesting review on the FI-BA-SS. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/headphone-reviews/ I own the Shure 1840 which he had also reviewed and pretty much agree with his comments on those headphones. I haven't owned the FI-BA-SS long enough to feel comfortable providing comments on them, and I am waiting for my Pico Power Amp to use with them, as I don't think they are likely at their best out of an iPod, or with my Total BitHead amp. The reviewer uses the same...