Posts by skyline315

Glad you like them!  The headband is a bit uncomfortable, but I find that once it starts hurting, I can make a minor adjustment to where it sits on my head and be good.  It typically takes an adjustment every 30 minutes or so to stay comfortable.    I haven't tried those two particular amps you mentioned, but the Audinst HUD-mx1 helped a good deal for me.  I wouldn't say that the bass is necessarily more present, but the sound in general has a little more authority and...
Honestly, I don't think an AMP is going to do amazing things on its own.  Upgrading the source would give the most noticeable improvement.   Just my opinion, of course...  
Sorry, I'm not familiar with any sub-$100 options.     I can vouch for the Audinst HUD-mx1, but that's about it.  I'd say it's certainly worth the money and works quite nicely with the 940s.   If you're looking into Fiio, the E17 is supposed to be nice, or you can go for the cheaper E10.  
Give PotPlayer a shot.  It really is a great piece of software...  
I recently purchased the Audinst and haven't regretted it for a second.   Pair quite nicely with my Shure 940s and DT880 250 ohm cans.
Gang,   I wasn't  having any issues with foobar.  It has worked fine.  The issue was with WinDVD.   I just switched over to PotPlayer, though, which has worked perfectly fine.  It's obviously something software/codec related.
  The improvement was noticeable in both.  Volume really wasn't an issue for me with either headphone, although it's nice to have a little more headroom in the volume department now.   That said, I don't know how well your particular headphones scale up...some headphones benefit more from amping than others, of course.      
I recently purchased an Audinst HUD-mx1 ($179) to go with my Shure 940s and DT880 250 ohms.   Personally, I find the difference between my on-board sound via laptop and the new dac/amp to be pretty considerable.  The most noticeable improvements have been an increase in smoothness of sound (a.k.a. less grain) and better instrument separation.  I haven't regretted the $179 for a second.  Having said that, I had originally planned to eventually upgrade to a more...
  Is this store close to you?   http://stores.guitarcenter.com/Buffalo   Give them a call in advance, because different stores treat headphones differently.  My store only had one in stock, but they were nice enough to open them up and let me listen.
One more note on these with classic rock...you have to make sure your source is good.  Some of the old recordings have some hiss/static, etc.  The 940s won't do anything to hide that.   I found that aspect of it to improve dramatically once I added a decent dac/amp since everything smoothed out quite a bit.  Something to consider if you plan to listen to these straight out of your headphone jack or with low quality mp3s, etc.