Posts by skyline315

The Vali tubes aren't replaceable so it's not a concern.  You take what they give you. The Vali sounds clear and detailed.  It has a little bit of warmth to it, but it's not a syrupy/tubey sounding amp.  I went from an Asgard 1 to a Vali and, for these particular headphones, it was a step up.  The Asgard 2 may be a different case, but it also costs significantly more.
Modi+Vali. Done.
 The length is just right for portable headphones. These are not portable headphones. Just my preference, of course, and you're right that they can't please everyone.  But, as far as home headphones go, this is on the ridiculous side for my uses.  Sitting at my desk, the amp is about 2 feet from my sitting position.  I can't swivel in my chair without the amp sliding across the desk.
Yep.  This is the only area where they REALLY fell short.   I shouldn't have to spend 100+ on a new cable to enjoy the headphones at home.   I'm opting for this:  http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Extension-Cable-4-57m-Headphone/dp/B0006DPNNK
Go with the Modi 2 Uber + Vali combo and call it a day. Seriously, you don't need to break the bank to get good sound out of these headphones.  This combo will also play nicely with your HD650.
 I'm afraid I can't offer comparisons to the Project amps. All I can say is that the 400i/Vali combo is outstanding.  Compared to the Asgard 1, it was a big step up.  At this point, I don't see any reason to go up the amp chain unless I were to buy far more difficult to drive headphones.
Jason, come on!   I'm pretty sure I've got a Modi sitting under the Christmas tree right now.  Curse you and your horrific timing!  *shakes fist*   I would have told Santa to hold off if I had known.    
Recommended. At worst, you don't notice a difference and you can return it.
 YES.  The cable length is ridiculous.  It's my one and only gripe. I have the Grado extension cable on my wishlist.
The soundstage is intimate, but instrument separation is very good.   No, these headphones aren't airy like the HD800, but it doesn't feel congested in any way.   I found amp pairings to make a difference here.  The Vali was a big step up from the Asgard in terms of instrument separation and clarity.