Posts by skyline315

It's not bad on high gain...
Relatively speaking, you are correct.  The T51 has a slightly more emphasized/boomier bass.  The 1350s sound a little more balanced.  But, the differences are minor.  Both sound fantastic. The T51p has more comfortable earpads.  The headband does not split.  The clamping force is very low.  1350 clamps like vice grips on your head.  Headband splits for adjustability. I prefer the 1350s for both sound and fit, though I'm in the minority.  I always felt like the T51s were...
I had some time with the 650s.  Loved the smoothness and the relaxed presentation.  But, the bass was too much. Didn't get much time with the 600s.  Does it retain the same level of smoothness to the sound?
 Matt, I can't believe you sold your 650s. After the meet, I have to admit that I may look into trying to track down a loaner pair of 600s or 650s to listen to them for a couple of weeks and see how I feel about them long-term.  Hearing them for the first time was pretty eye opening.
Depends how you define body, I suppose.  Too me it sounds a bit boomy/flabby. I prefer the tighter/more refined bass of the 400i.  However, the 500 wins for me in terms of soundstage/ambiance and realism...they put me in the room where the music is being played more successfully than the 400i. Keep in mind, however, that the 500s I did all of my listening with were completely modded/tricked out by jerg, which had a significant impact on the sound. I bought the 400i and am...
 Throw in a free cable upgrade, and you've got yourself a deal!  
 Man.  I've got a ways to go, then.  
I would look into the Beyerdynamic portables. Either the DT1350 or the T51p. Most people seem to prefer the T51...I think they're crazy :P
 Something the 400i sounded bad on?  Nope, not really.  They even sounded fine on Joe's PanAm setup.  Had a nice moment there with Dondante by My Morning Jacket. Unfortunately, I didn't get far beyond quick impressions, though.  Too much to hear, and too little time.  There is a part of me that wonders if finding the right amp would be money more wisely spent than focusing on the DAC. As for budget, it would need to be less than $500.  I can't imagine spending more on a...
Seems like the natural direction to go.  Just wanting to be sure I'm going to hear a real improvement in sound.  DACs are something I really don't have a firm grasp on regarding their impact on sound.