Posts by skyline315

Yes, absolutely. I prefer the Ember, but the Vali 2 isn't far behind at all.  Both great matches for the 500.
If money is an issue, then the Vali 2 is the way to go.  The Project Ember is fantastic, but you'd be better off getting the Vali 2 and putting the extra funds towards a better DAC. I can't comment on the xduoo since I haven't heard it.  
I'll give it more time since the Jot is a new arrival in my setup. I have Bimby/Jot at home and the Mimby/Vali 2 at work. I feel that the Jot takes away some of the romantic sounding qualities of the 500 even though it may be the technically better amp.  It comes down to personal taste here, I think.   The 650s, on the other hand, are pretty magical with the Jot pushing them.  
 Fine suggestion, but I actually prefer the 500s from the Vali 2.  Very hard to beat the Modi/Vali stack for the price.  And for twice the price.  
 You can't tell anything from the numbers.  Just because something has plenty of power doesn't mean that it's implemented well.   If you need to save some money, I'd recommend the Vali 2 or Magni 2 depending on your preferences.  I personally prefer the Vali 2 as I find it a bit less strident.  It's a nice match for the HE-500.
I have been very happy with my Project Ember.  Hybrid tube amps have more than enough power to drive them and tube rolling lets you fine tune the sound.  Yes, I have one for sale.  No, this is not a sales pitch :P I'm selling my Ember purely due to curiosity regarding the Jotunheim.  I tend to prefer tube amps in general, but I want to give the Jot a try just because it's been ages since I've tried a solid state solution. If you want tubes, but don't think the Ember is...
Project Ember II.  I'm the 2nd owner.    Really had no intentions of selling this as I'm rather fond of it.  It's a great match with my HE-500s.  But, curiosity has gotten the better of me again and I want to give the Jot a try.    Amp:  Aluminum chassis.  Upgraded volume knob.  Great condition.   PS:  Upgraded slightly from the original.  Same PS, but a little more juice...it's just the next step up.  I make no claims whatsoever that this improves the audio.  The...
 Valhalla 2, no.  It doesn't handle planars as well as other options.  The Asgard 2 would be fine.  I tend to prefer tubes, because you can tube roll and fine tune the sound a little.  That's personal preference, though. The 500s were a little fatiguing out of the Asgard 1, but I believe the 2 is a warmer amp so it may not be an issue anymore. Also keep in mind that you'll want to add a DAC at some point in the future.  The Modi 2 MB/Vali 2 combo is good enough to be...
At the sub $200 mark, you may want to look into the Vali 2.
 Yes.  Don't waste time with headphone upgrades at this point unless the sound signature doesn't match your preferences or you're willing to spend $1000+ on a new set. At this point, it's all about finding good synergy with the proper dac/amp.