Posts by goodvibes

I'd try a factory reset and at worst a FW update. Some devices will see a card as defective once something like that happens. 
Hard to compare speaker curves to IEM curves. NS10 was considered a near field monitor. If the response didn't have a presence bump it would sound chesty at close range. You'll find that bump also flattens out a bit as you go off axis. Proximity tends to put you more off axis. They stay a bit middy but it's not as bad as it looks.   No one has done more testing on what sounds linear in an IEM than Etymotic. They would be as close to a technical standard as is available...
This is it for me anyways. it lacks energy below 1-2k and 2K is already bordering the high frequency range. This is always fun. http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html That said, what's happening here is exactly what I was referring to in regards to what is actually considered flat. No need to go on about Etymotic. The point was lack of any reasonable standard to speak in absolutes about what is flat. Shoving little bits in your ears is just very...
That's just it, I don't find them mid centric, just a bit lacking in weight. I find the Noble a VG IEM but also a little HF enhanced. Kind of the point of my original post. It's difficult to come to any consensus when in ear measurements have to be weighted and any weighting standard could be argued and perhaps not universal as ear geometry and insertion will vary.
Yes, acoustic resistance which is what the acoustic low pass accomplishes. It crosses relatively low but not as steeply or effectively as the Shure, even if the principals are similar. Judging from the impedance, the 2.2uF cap would indicate that the tweeter starts it's crossover induced roll above 2000 hz. Means the woofer is reaching up there. I just read the rest of the very informative article and it appears that the device doesn't need to sound U shaped with some...
LOL, oops. You know I love you, man. I think the elongated bandpass design used by Shure is more of a sub type filter design as opposed to the resistance used in the Sonion. I do thinks it's great that they added the resistance before the common portion of the port to allow for a truer 2 way type of design.   Does it come with a pre-installed cap for the tweeter portion? Seems you and other think it a bit U shaped. Perhaps increasing the value of that cap (extending it's...
Thanks. I don't care for the way that writer (not Sonion) erroneously trades on the se846's tech with what is basically very good packaging of path and parts but do think it's a great update idea on the dual driver take.
What's flat? Do you think etymotics sound flat, natural or normal like free space? I like them but don't feel that way about them. I doubt that there can be a perfect IEM and the amount of deviation I hear with a cable change on the units that have close to neutral sigs makes me question how high the performance ceiling can actually be with a DAP as source.
Did you get the new one? I'm pretty happy with the old Mk2 but use an earlier FW (before 2.4). Had a DX90 with the latest lurker fw that I liked and still preferred the 100 MK2's character. The AK120 (and possibly the newer units that I haven't heard) had them both on getting black but not a biggie. I find the AK100 mk2 musically satisfying and a size I'll get more use from.
They can be made more specialized and better for a purpose. It's basic physics, more Magnetic force and lighter moving parts will increase transient response and high frequency bandwidth if inductance can be kept at bay.. It can be done at the expense of another variable like low extension which is not an issue in a 3 way. Same for bass drivers being made more massive or not worrying as much about out of band non linearity in a mid driver with a steep slope. I'm sure...