or Connect

Posts by goodvibes

There is debate about time constants that transcends bandwidth and resolution in the analog domain. You may find this interesting. From the Chord electronics site: 768 kHz recordings cannot sound better because of information above 200 kHz being important - simply because musical instruments, microphones, amplifiers and loudspeakers do not work at these frequencies nor can we hear them. So if it is not the extra bandwidth that is important, why do higher sampling rates...
I'm a HiRes advocate and don't think you need golden ears to hear it. Just all your ducks in a row. That said, upsampling is a sham and only helps when it shows filtering to be questionable at standard res etc. Ducks in row there as well. I feel the same about DSD vs PCM. DSD is a bit easier to decode but prefer the best PCM with the best kit. Many of these opinions are drawn for relatively mediocre sources and kit. Doesn't make them wrong for the situation they were...
Be careful with things this revealing as sometimes they are too telling of sources. I find the PAW as stock VG but a bit lean and never like PCs as sources. Lack of sig can be off putting as well. I'm not saying this is what you're hearing as the variables in expectations, preference and kit here are always great but I've found 'too many notes syndrome' occur with top kit in the past.    This is not to counter anything audionewbi has posted or to say this is occurring...
I just looked at the Freq response and impedance curves and it should work best when driven by a low impedance source. The impedance curve is remarkably flat for a multi armature device. It's about 16 ohms below 100HZ and at the very top with a dip down to 4 ohms centered at 4kHZ. Looks like Shure takes their measurement at 500hz which is nor uncommon. It does not vary by more than a factor of 2 from that spec. The output at 4k is already less than that of their previous...
The DAC in the Iphone is likely no worse and will be better clocked simply due to not needing clock recovery or added jitter in the interface. I think the issue here is that there is no longer a line out like the older units. I suspect the optimum portable source for this is a quality DAP with true line out.
Thanks. This is what happens when you don't go back far enough. My mistake then and makes the compare subject to source. Sounds like this and other reviews could both be correct and not contradictory relative to source or at least to a subjective extent without too much debate.
I don't doubt your impressions for a moment but do find them surprising due to the contrast of others. Are you certain that the DAC wasn't in use? It will be in the loop with an analog input under various circumstances like EQ or sound profile.
Many confuse etched with accurate. Preference aside, I suspect the RR are more correct for any type of listening. Sounds like they may have paid more attention to phase and/or group delay as well. It's not anything new to transducers but they may not be mentioning it to avoid (overzealous?) conflict with JA patents.
It's really a lot of work if you want something better than a cookie cutter approach.