Posts by goodvibes

Just the opposite for me though I don't listen to much Rap, House or current top 40 type stuff though some things do catch my ear. I do own some of each and like you, own lots of old rock along with things like Radiohead, Jack White etc. etc. When I evaluate, I always make sure to use some  acoustic jazz and classical recordings that I have 1st hand knowledge of and thought the DX90 was more true to them. There a specific cut (First Song) with Laurence Hobgood, Kurt Elling...
X5 is as strong as they get but the DX90 will drive anything but high impedance, inefficient full size phones quite well. More power doesn't sound better unless you need it. DX90 has more than enough body. I guess it comes down to what is enough and what is too much. X5 had too much for me and DX90 is full bodied, IMO. AKs are leaner for instance and I'd go their direction before the X5s, but again, that's only for me. What I may personally consider big bass and sparkly...
There's always the poll results to consider. It shows a preference but also that agreement will never be universal.
Guys, try a HiDef wav file. 
I don't agree with that description. DX90 is very smooth, harmonic, more textured and already on the warmer side of things. Rockbox makes it more forward and jump a bit more. I personally prefer the stock FW but prefer either to the X5. All IMO of course. I didn't find the X5 very natural sounding. IMO, it has too much bass and a less even sounding top end. To me it creates more of it's own sound than the more natural DX90. Extra bass is not more natural. It's an unnatural...
First, I'd try a stock cable and then a regular stranded silver. No gold and no litz. If that isn't lean enough, I'd suspect the build or drivers.
The clear back is stick on and can be carefully pried off. 4 corner screws and your in. If you find a screw, return it to a board corner and use a tiny amount of nail polish on the edge of the screw.
I've forgotten, have you opened it and looked for loose screw possibly causing a problem? 
They do have extra low bass but not to where you're describing. Break in should be a non issue for a used set. Perhaps it has to do with the 2nd party rebuild. If a bore isn't positioned correctly it can seem down in amplitude and relatively increase other ranges. If the FP portion wasn't followed precisely, that could also cause some cancellation at certain frequencies. Jerry did say he had to change the crossover points and slopes to compensate for the drivers being in...
yup